cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

replication definition

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Is there any way to check if Replication server is using Replication definitions to apply changes on standby?

Regards,

Marc

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the info, but let me explain what I really need to know.

Suppose that I have already created repdefs and I just need to double check if these repdefs will be used by RS.

I can think about some traces in RS (i.e. trace "on",dsi,dsi_buf_dump)...

Does it help, or is there any other way to check?

Regards,

Marc

Mark_A_Parsons
Contributor
0 Kudos

There's no easy way to tell if a repdef *will* be used by RS.

A mismatch in the owner flag (eg, PDB table marked with owner on; repdef created without an owner) will keep a repdef from being used; obviously a typo in a name (ds, db, object, owner) will cause a repdef to be ignored; etc).

--------

As for how to tell if a repdef is *being* used by RS ... I'm not aware of any (monitor) counters that keep track of how often specific repdefs are utilized, nor am I aware of any traces that explicitly list which repdef(s) are applied to a transaction.

NOTE: Keep in mind that the documentation on monitor counters and traces is somewhat limited so *maybe* there's something out there ... *shrug*

--------

The way I typically tell if a repdef is being used is to run a test transaction in the PDB and see what the DSI spits out.

My preference is to watch the (ASE) RDS's monSysSQLText table, but a dsi buf dump would also work (especially for non-ASE targets).

Obviously you'll need to have an idea of what you think the DSI should be submitting in order to tell if the repdef is being used (eg, you expect to see 2 columns used in the 'where' clause of a DELETE or UPDATE statement; DSI is issuing a 'set identity_insert on/off' wrapper for a column defined (in the repdef) as 'identity'; etc).

Assuming this is a generic WS setup where the PDB and RDB contents should be 100% identical then you could run some sort of data comparison (eg, rs_subcmp, Data Assurance) to verify the contents of a pair of pdb/rdb tables (eg, to make sure the correct PK column set has been defined).

--------

For future reference re: Sybase Replication Server (SRS) questions, you may want to post in the Sybase Replication Server forum; you'll likely get the attention of a few more SRS knowledgeable folks.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member89972
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Marc

How about rs_helprepversion <repdefname / repdefversionid>

It should show you if repdef is actively used !

HTH

Avinash