Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Release upgrade efforts - equivalent support packages

pankaj_pabreja
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi All,

We are planning to perform the upgrade of our ECC system from ECC 6.0 EHP5 SP13 on Windows 2008/MSSQL 2008 to ECC 6.0 EHP8 SP11 (Latest stack) on Windows 2016/MSSQL 2016 . It will be done in 3 phases due to OS/DB limitations:

1. ECC EHP5 SPS update to atleast SP 15 to make it ready for MSSQL 2016.

2. Migrate the ECC EHP5 to windows2016/MSSQL2016 servers.

3. EHP8 upgrade from EHP5 on new servers.

Now, my query is regarding the first point. The equivalent level for EHP5 SP15 is EHP8 SPS08 and hence we can define the target as EHP8 SPS11 for the upgrade.

If we update the ECC EHP5 to the SPS 15 in the first point, its equivalent package for EHP8 will become SPS 11, will it reduce the timelines/efforts for the 3rd step?

Is it advantageous to have the support pack of source release equivalent to the target support pack during release/EHP upgrade? Does it reduce the efforts of the upgrade?

Regards,

Pankaj

pankaj_pabreja
Participant
0 Kudos

Correction on query:

If we update the ECC EHP5 to the SPS 17 in the first point, its equivalent package for EHP8 will become SPS 11, will it reduce the timelines/efforts for the 3rd step?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

S_Sriram
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Pankaj.

1. Is it dual or single ABAP stack?

2. As you said three steps to upgrade to EHP8 you can follow the same if possible do the mock test before starting the live landscape.

BR

SS

Reagan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

>>If we update the ECC EHP5 to the SPS 17 in the first point, its equivalent package for EHP8 will become SPS 11, will it reduce the timelines/efforts for the 3rd step?<<

I would say NO. Upgrading the system from EHP5 to EHP8 is basically an upgrade and involves a huge jump in the central components like BASIS, EA_APPL, etc. Additionally you may double check the note 2201059 - Release planning for Microsoft SQL Server 2016 as the minimum SPS for SQL Server 2016 is SPS 18.

pankaj_pabreja
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Reagen. Yes, we had already planned according to the notes related to Windows 2016 and MSSQL 2016. NW 702 SPS 18 corresponds to ECC 6.0 EHP5 SPS 15. So, is it recommended to go to SPS15 or SPS17. If the source support package wont make a difference for EHP8 upgrade, then SPS15 would be better option to reduce the timelines for the SPS update of EHP5?

Regards,

Pankaj

Reagan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

If the minimum SPS can be implemented without any other issues then I would do that and move the systems to the latest available MSSQL Server before I start the EHP8 upgrade.

S_Sriram
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Pankaj.

1. Current version of SAP ERP6 EHP5 supported windows 2016 / Sql 2016? have you check the SAP PAM & SAP Note 2201059? Could you share the NW release, SP level and kernel?

2. ECC EHP 5 SP17 supported Windows 2016 / MS sql 2016 then you can select the target release either EHP8 latest SP level or latest SP-1. before that you may need to check with ABAP / function consultant any custom development supported new release. if possible do it first in the test system.

Regards

SS

pankaj_pabreja
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Sriram,

Yes , it is supported on Windows 2016/MSSQL 2016 but the customer wants to go on EHP8.Current NW is 702 SP 16 and min required is SP18 for MSSQL 2016 which is equivalent to ECC 6 EHP5 SP15 mentioned in my first point

Regards,

Pankaj

pankaj_pabreja
Participant
0 Kudos

Correction on query:

If we update the ECC EHP5 to the SPS 17 in the first point, its equivalent package for EHP8 will become SPS 11, will it reduce the timelines/efforts for the 3rd step?