cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended bandwidth requirement for log replication for IBM DB2

Former Member
0 Kudos

Kindly let me know what is the recommended bandwidth requirement for log replication from Primary To Seconday and DR Site for IBM DB2 database

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Frank-Martin
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Hi,

are you talking about

1.) DB2 HADR ( log record shipping from primary to secondary )

2.) an HA septup with log file shipping ( Libelle or home grown )

3.) log based replication of some tables

in any case there will be no easy answer. Log usage depends on the usage pattern of your system. How much write activity is going on on your system?
Are you talking about a planned or an existing system?

Regards

Frank

maria_shen
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Sharad,

Below could be a good starting point of tuning the HADR performance for Db2 10.5.
The hyperlink of HADR simulator is also included there.

High availability disaster recovery (HADR) performance

Kind regards
Maria

prithvirajr
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sharad,

The general rule is that the maximum network shipping rate between the systems should always be greater that the logging rate. You can use tools such as the HADR simulator (https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/wikis/home?lang=en#!/wiki/DB2HADR/page/HADR+simulator) to determine the maximum network shipping rate between systems.

Also, please go through below blog

https://blogs.sap.com/2014/06/24/calculating-db2-hadr-network-bandwidth/

Though it is more for HADR setup'd systems. in case it helps you in new implementation.

Regards,

Prithviraj

Frank-Martin
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Sharad,

the needed bandwitdth depends on the log volumne written at peek times in your system multiplied by some safty factor. For a new green field system it is really difficult to tell upfront how much bandwidth you will need. I am not even aware of a good rule of thump for this kind of question.

Maybe someone else in the forum can jump in here.

Regards

Frank

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Frank - I am looking for the DB2 HADR ( log record shipping from primary to secondary ) and plannign to setup for a GreenField implementation.

Regards,

Sharad