cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question on implementing BW delta using Change document tables (CDHDR and CDPOS).

0 Kudos

Hi Experts. I have a doubt on Change document functionality. This is specific to BW delta replication of raw ERP tables.

I have been reading about this Change document functionality (CDHDR and CDPOS) in SAP for a while.

Let's assume that I want to do a full replication of EKKO table to BW. (not using any extractor, but by replicating the whole table structure and delta changes to BW as it is present in SE11). Normally, projects I have seen use Datasource using Function module extraction and pick up the delta records from "CDHDR" and "CDPOS" tables every day.

However, my doubt in this approach is this. I read that CDHDR and CDPOS tables capture changes only for those fields whose data element have "Change Document" check box enabled. For example, Let's say we have a field in EKKO (LPONR) for which "Change Document" is not checked in data element. Even the key field of "EKKO" table "EBELN" has change document dataelement check box unchecked. In this case, how helpful will be "CDHDR" and "CDPOS" interms of full table replication? if for example, the field LPONR changed in ERP, will it be captured in CDHDR tables? (Just an example, but i want to understand how the delta changes for LPONR and all other fields like this can be captured)

We get a lot of requirement around extracting raw tables from ERP to BW with delta capability, but no standard extractor is present for most of tables. Also, Because of the above doubt, I am not sure if I will miss any delta if I utilize "CDHDR" and "CDPOS" for delta identification. Thanks for your inputs in advance.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

FCI
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Using BW for raw table extraction is probably not a good idea. You have other tools for replicating db tables more easily (SLT or Sybase for the SAP ones).

If you're on Hana with the right licences, SDI is probably the way to go.

Regards,

Frederic

0 Kudos

Thank you. I'll take your SDI and SY-BASE options and do more research on it. We already thought of SLT, but looks like it's not feasible due to internal polices here.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

FCI
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Your analysis seems right to me. This why you should only use this kind of dataSource as a last resort.

You'd rather use standard dataSource, delta based on a modification date (if any) or a full load (when it is possible).

Regards,

Frederic

0 Kudos

Hi Fredrick, Thanks for responding. I am indeed doing full load for most of the tables at this moment. But in the project that I work in, the clients ask for raw tables to be extracted from ECC to BW. And this happens almost always and for lot of tables. Most of them don't have standard extractors and also no Delta fields. Hence it so happened that we're having a lot of full loads done everyday on our system. I was looking for an alternative to this approach, but CDHDR and CDPOS has this catch that I mentioned. Any suggestions on this?