cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem when restoring Backup from Tape...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I am getting the following error when I am trying to restore a backup from Tape on AIX system:

BR0279W Return code from 'LANG+C cd /oracle/RSD/sapbackup && LANG=C cpio -iuvB .tape.hdr0 < /dev/rmt0': 0

BR0359W Restore of /oracle/RSD/sapbackup/.tape.hdr0 from /dev/rmt0 failed due to previous errors

BR0218W Checking label on volume in device /dev/rmt0 failed

BR0236I Perfhaps volume initialization with option '-i force' required

I have initialized the tape before backup to label RSDB05 which I used while taking the backup.

When I initialized the tape as mentioned above with '-i force' then while restoring there is problem of timestamp.

How to restore the backup from tape now.

Regards

Chin2

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

AIX cannot read the tape. this means that is is:

1. defective

2. tape not loaded

3. tape driver not configured

4. you chose the wrong /dev entry

5. tape drive is dirty, try to clean it

6. try with another tape.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

So you did a backup on the tape and then initialized the tape after that? If you did that, then your header is overwritten and the backup can´t be restored.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks for the replies..

Yes I know that after initializing the tape it will not be usable...but the question is it is not able to read the header .tape.hdr0....

It is giving error in tape label as mentioned earlier in my message...I have chckd the logs and the tape label in the backup log is same as the tape level which it should be...

So it seems there is some problem with the tape or need to clean it...

I had 2 backups in 2 tapes....

1 tape is initialized and another tape is also being not recognized as 1st tape...

Now the only option I have is to restore the OS level backup which is old and there will be data loss for around a week...

Regards!

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

How did you try to read from the tape? Using a tool?

Markus