cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Links in portal toolbar no longer working after navigating within a room

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi!

We have a rather strange problem. Say a user navigates to the collaboration room list ("collaboration" -> "rooms") and enters a room. When he/she then changes the part of the room (e.g. from "Room Discussions" to "Room Documents"), the second row of the top navigation bar gets inoperable.

Our portal menu looks like this ("=some entry=" means "selected"):

Intranet

Help

Content-Administration

=Collaboration=

=Rooms=

My Tasks

My Meetings

After entering a room and changing to any other room page than the one initially shown, the menu jumps to this state:

=Intranet=

Help

Content-Administration

Collaboration

=Rooms=

My Tasks

My Meetings

So suddenly the first entry in the top bar is highlighted, not "collaboration" anymore. (I can tell it's always the first entry who gets selected, since not every user's view has "Intranet" as the first entry - and still the first entry gets selected.) From now on, "Rooms", "My Tasks" and "My Meetings" are inoperable. They are still clickable links, but clicking on them causes a javascript error and nothing happens. ("'gNavTree.children[...].children' is null or no object")

Clicking on "Collaboration" in the top level navigation bar fixes the problem. The page reloads and everything is as it should be. This is reproducible in IE and Firefox. A complete reboot of the portal did not help. This only occurs when browsing within a room. Browsing within other parts of the portal does not have this effect.

Unfortunately I don't recall which change we made to the portal that caused this. (It definitely worked at some point before.) I do recall, however, that we translated "collaboration" (and only "collaboration") to another term better suited to our needs using the portal content translation feature. However, to rule this out as a cause of the problem I reverted to the original naming and the problem remained. Just thought I'd mention it for what it's worth.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks a lot in advance for your input! It's no showstopper, but it's confusing the users and kind of a weird problem I can't explain.

Regards,

Jens

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

0 Kudos

Hi Jens,

We just upgraded to EP6.0 NW04 SP14 Patch 1 and we have the same problem. Even when we use the collaboration functionality in a standard way we have this problem. I guess it's a bug.

Which version do you use?

Do other people experience the same problem?

Regards,

Eric

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Eric,

thanks for your feedback!

I completely forgot to mention our portal version. We are running:

EP J2EE Engine 6.40 PatchLevel 98256.313

Portal 6.0.14.0.0

KnowledgeManagementCollaboration 6.0.14.0.0 (NW04 SPS14)

We did update from SP 11 or 12 to SP 14 some weeks ago, too. But I'm not quite sure whether the problem is related to the update... now that you mention it this seems very probable!

Bye,

Jens

detlev_beutner
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jens,

just checked on EP6 SPS14 / KMC SPS14 P1 - same behaviour; it's a bug. Please open an OSS message.

There have been some modifications on the TLN navigation implementation, such that just a more or less similar behaviour shouldn't occure any more; seems that these modifications have brought up new problems 😐 (Probably it has been forgotten to check if the NavTarget root is different then ROLES).

Best regards

Detlev

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Detlev,

I advised our systems engineering department. They will open an OSS call.

Thanks,

Jens

Former Member
0 Kudos

Do you have already any feedback from SAP, we have this problem too since upgrade to SP14.

kr,

Wolfgang

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Wolfgang,

I asked Systems Engineering yesterday and they did not get a reply yet. I'm waiting myself. As soon as I hear anything that helps solving the problem I'll post it here.

Bye,

Jens

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

SAP confirmed it's a bug. They will provide a SP14 hotfix and get back to me as soon as it's available.

I'll post it here when I know more.

Bye,

Jens

Former Member
0 Kudos

Just for the record: We upgraded to SPS15 some days ago and the problem is now fixed.

Bye,

Jens

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

It seems that my conclusion was a bit premature:

Upon further testing we unfortunately encountered another navigation problem introduced by SP15, which in my opinion is even worse than the one that has been fixed.

Alhough since SP15 navigation no longer breaks when changing a room part, the list of room parts now completely disappears from the portal sidebar when clicking on a workflow item in the "Room Tasks" list. One must leave the room and re-enter it for the list of the roomparts to appear again.

This is a very serious problem.

We are about to open another OSS-message... does anyone experience a similar problem with SP15?

Thanks a lot,

Jens

detlev_beutner
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jens,

thanks for the information. I just tested this and it behaves as you've described.

Thanks for tracking this,

best regards

Detlev

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jens

We are on SP15 and facing similar problem of disappearing of detailed navigation on clicking room parts inside the room. Did you open the OSS or got any feedback on the same ?

Let me know.

Best Regards

Prabhakar Lal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prabhakar,

we have an open call on this issue. SAP replied on the 10th of March:

"As this DTN issue isn't reproducable on our SP15 system, please upgrade your KM version to PL1, as per NOTE 911395(same as our test system). If for some reason the issue still exists after this upgrade I will further this issue with our Dev colleagues."

I read the note mentioned (which contains a list of the changes in PL1) and it says nothing about this issue in particular, if I'm not mistaken. Our system is on SP15 (not SP15 PL1), so we'll have to upgrade to PL1 first before we can investigate this any further. I currently don't know when this update is scheduled by our systems engineering department.

Is your system on PL1 by any chance? If so, then the problem has not been fixed in PL1 - which would be interesting for us to know.

Thanks,

Jens

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

we are on 6.0.15.1.0 (NW04 SPS15 Patch1) an the problem still exists sometimes (!): the detailed navigation disappears completely after clicking on a room part. I'll investigate this more exactly the next week, because it happens not allways. Perhaps only on the second time of clicking on the part or only if there is more than on room part. If I can reproduce it exactly I'll open a OSS Call and hold you informed.

Best regards

Elke

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello guys,

Any update on this issue? We are here on SPS16 and the detailed navigation for our Collaboration Rooms is disappearing after one clicks on some Room Parts.

Thanks in advance.

Fernando Urzedo

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

We raised a customer message for this issue and got a fix from Support team which we applied on our SPS15 installations. This solved the problem which was happening due to clicking on room part but we got new issues as Detailed Navigation completely disappears when an end user clicks on any task in Room Tasks page. For this we got a reply from Support team that fix will be provided with SP17 release which is due by end of this month.

Best Regards

Prabhakar Lal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prabhakar,

Thanks for the information! Waiting for SPS17....

Fernando Urzedo