cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone used the Query_View_Data BI Web Service and Xcelsius 2008?

alexander_schuchman
Participant
0 Kudos

I downloaded the trial version of Xcelsius and am trying to call the Query_View_Data Web Service in a Netweaver 2004S BI 7 system. I can generate the WSDL and input this into the Xcelsius...however I'm not sure what to do next to actually call this service?

Anyone else try this?

-Alex

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I have used this webserivice on Xcelcius, the row/column format is a bit of prob, but the node values will return the KF's, so I was meddling with it a little bit,

here is what i noticed, if u have 10 rows and 1 column in ur Bex, if u select the same layout in excel it displays it exactly, if u select 5-2 or 4-3 or something like that then the service just puts the data sequentially but u still get all the data, I think if you spend time u can call each cell and align it the way u want.

Gokul

0 Kudos

Hi all,

we are trying the same thing, i.e. we want to access a BI query in our NW 7.0 box which has been exposed via web service QUERY_VIEW_DATA from Xcelsius 2008. From what we can see (RSRT cache, SM50) Xcelsius is calling the BI server. However we do not manage to populate the embedded XLS and thus the dashboard with the data. The web service itself works since we are able to retrieve data with the tool SOAPUI.

We are passing the InfoProvider name and the query name in the Request object. User name and password are requested via a browser popup (?). We hope/suspect that the parameter/value pairs could be used to pass authentication information to the web service (SAPUSER/PASSWORD?)

@All: Which elements of the Response structure did you map to retrieve the key figures? Could you pls. provide a screenshot? Is there any ay to perform a trace or anything in Xcelsius. The tool is simply not doing anything and there is no way to tell what is going wrong. We are sure that BI returns something but we can't see what it is...

@Ingo: Is the functionality you are referring to included in the upcoming EHP-II for NW 7.0?

Thank you very much in advance,

Hanno.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Very good question Hanno. I hope that someone could answer this, because it would mean a smooth access to NW BI data without having to install the entire Enterprise platform.

If, someone know, pls answer Hanno´s question.

Regards

Kenneth

IngoH
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

here is the blog and in the comments below the link to the slides and the recorded webinar.

Ingo

/people/mark.finnern/blog/2009/07/21/sap-mentor-monday-webinar-ingo-hilgefort-hands-on-xcelsius-for-sap

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Very good and interesting Webinar!!! One question. What Im aiming for is to let the customer try XCelsius, use the free trial version for 30 days. The customer have NW BI 7.0. However this Data connection directly to NW BI is not available on the free trial version of Xcelsius.

And my demo system is not on NW 7.01 SP 5. That is why Im trying with web service Query_view_data, which I actually got working. It works if you Structures also in rows.

Will NW BI connection be available in free trial version of Xelcius and it that case when?

Best regards

Kenneth

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi again

I answer my own question. Free trial version can be upgraded just downloading SP2 and installing it.

So my tip to everyone.

1. Watch the webinar.

2. Get your NW BI on level 7.01 SP5 and Xcelsius SP2, then you have the Netveawer BI connector available in the datamanager section in Xcelsius, and you dont have to try to use WS query_view_data.

/Kenneth

IngoH
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi,

Xcelsius is expecting a row / column rowset - which the query_view_data webservice is not providing.

there are plans to deliver a web service on top of BI directly

ingo

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ingo

I am being asked whether Xcelsius 2008 can access Netweaver 2004S BI 7 data via a web service directly.

Some time has passed this original posting about query_view_data webservice. Is it still not possible?

I don't want to have to use BOE as you have in your many helpful blogs about Xcelsius. I want to know if there are direct options to access BI7 from Xcelsius now?

Or is Raja's custom RFC the only way now?

Regards

Amanda

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I am using SAP BI to generate web service. I am getting output in axis data,axis info & cell data format.

Just wanted to know still we have to follow BSP application to generate web service in row/colummn format.

Thanks,

Shamkant

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Raja, Completely agree with Alexander on the performance. Something which takes 20 secs to return with a ws hardly takes 5 secs from the BEx. So the ws is definitely an issue as far as performance goes. What is your experience with your custom ws as far as performance goes.

Also, I have not gotten to actually using the ws in Xcelsius but can see your point of mapping the 4 sets of data returned by the ws into Xcelsius. May be you should write a blog about the same.

Thanks,

Dilip

athavanraja
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

here is the code sample whichi was taking about.

https://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/BI/ExposeBIQueryasRESTful+Service

this is much faster compared to ws as well as bexweb. (dont have the exact statistics).

give this a try and let us know how it goes.

Regards

Raja

PS - i need to find sometime to write this blog.thanks for the interest.

alexander_schuchman
Participant
0 Kudos

We actually took the "non-developers" approach to solving this problem. We installed the BOE XI 3.0 and added the SAP Integration Kit installation to our BOE server. Then we create a BOBJ Universe which point back to the BI Query. Last step was to use the "Query as a Web Service" tool which is part of the BOE to automatically generate a WSDL for the Universe that we just created based on the query.

Then to consume this WSDL, you just paste this into the Web Service connections section within Xcelsius.

All of this worked and we were able to get our query data into Xcelsius without writing any code.

Typically I take the "write it yourself" approach but since we're new to the BOBJ world, thought I would give their tools a chance before I make any judgements.

-Alex

former_member192142
Contributor
0 Kudos

Excellent tip - Alexander. Thank you very much for taking your time to share it...

Best regards,

-Jacob

IngoH
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Alexander,

take a look at the integration roadmap. In the second half of the year the NW BI stack will deliver a direct connectivity for Xcelsius.

Ingo

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi alexander,

please check the below links. As they are pdfs i cant give you the required matter. so pls check theses pdf links.

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/f07909b9-f397-2910-f1bf-f4a6ca2e...

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/92d80512-0a01-0010-32a3-cd3735bd...

thanks

karthik

reward me if usefull

alexander_schuchman
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks very much, I've see the VC doc before and have the web service working when calling query_view_Data from a CRM system to get BI info. I haven't seen that detailed widget one before, that was very helpful since I'm working on Yahoo Widgets as well.

I'm still playing around with Xclesius 2008 to see if I can get it to call a web service. I'm brand new to this tool, much like the rest of us SAP'ers.

-Alex

former_member181887
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Alex,

In theory it should be possible to do want to are thinking of. We were playing with connecting web dynpro directly with Xcelsius in the last month and it works very well once you understand the import/export parameters.

Our WD developer did this for ERP WS integration with Xcelsius. I will see if any of your developers have done this already and get back to you.

If you manage to do this in the meantime, you should post a blog on it.

Cheers,

Mike.

athavanraja
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

i was able to successfully call WS from Xcelsius, however in the case of Query_View_Data , the challenge is more to do with massaging the returned data as this WS returns axis info, axis data, cell data, into different element and a generic intelligent logic needs to be written to manage that.

what we have done is , utilised the FM (from where Query_View_Data ws is generated ) in our own custom RFC and manipulated the data to return it in a two dimensional format (row/column) and exposed this rfc as a ws, where the import parameters are same as the way you pass to the standard Query_View_Data ws.

Raja