cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

generic extraction - doubt

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi gurus,

i want to know what is the difference b/w building a generic extractor using views and using function module. what cannot be achieved using views, can be achieved using function modules.

thanks in advance.

anitha

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anitha,

I have listed some of the major differences between Generic Extractor from <b>VIEW</b> vs <b>Function Module</b>.

1.) With <b>VIEW</b>, absolutely no ABAP knowledge is required. With Function Module, you need to have ABAP expertise.

2.) With <b>VIEW</b>, your data is only bound to what fields the <b>VIEW</b> can offer. With <b>Function Module</b>, you populate a field programatically. Complex program logics can be introduced using Function Module w/c could not be done using a <b>VIEW</b>.

3.) If you are clever enough, you can extend the DELTA Capability of the Extractor using a function module. A <i>GENERIC Extractor</i> is normally bounded by <i>NUMERIC POINTER, TIMESTAMP and CALENDAR DAY</i> as DELTA Indicator. A VIEW is only bounded to this limitation. A Function Module can be programmned in such a way that it can take advantage of ALE Change Pointers as the source of DELTA Indicator (flexibility unmatched by the <b>VIEW</b>)

I hope I have helped you. If I did, please grant points....

Regards,

--Jkyle

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

anitha,

you're basically asking what a program can do that table contents cannot, which is a lot.

extractors based on views are limited by the contents that it has, based on join conditions defined in the view.

on the other hand, function module extractors can "create" the data needed based on certain conditions that you code in.

so, if you have two extractors (one for each kind) providing the same information, say, PO number and last change date, and you have a scenario where you want to classify the PO documents based on how long it had been since the last modification, at the time of loading, the view will give you just the information the tables have. you'll need to process the data some more using transfer routines or update rules.

on the other hand, a funcion module extractor can already provide that classification by simply adding a field to its output, populated based on the date of loading compared to the date of last change.

hope this helps - don't forget to come back to give out some points.

ryan.

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks all. i've awarded points to everyone. thanks again

anitha

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi anitha..,

If we want data from two or three table we will create a view .Similarly if we want to transfer data from 2 or more tables we will extract data using view or table.

In this there is no complexity.Only simple selection conditions

Similarly if there is any complex logic involved to extract the data we will extract that one by FM extraction. Press f1 in the input field there in FM extraction U can know some thing about it.

Regards .

KK

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi

anitha,

Generic DS using function module is used when u have to restrict the data load depending upon data packet in R/3.

u can have a look on function module --

RSAX_BIW_GET_DATA_SIMPLE.

hope this helps....

revert if ne query..

regards

Ankur