Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crystal Reports without BOE

andreas_appelt
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi,

our customer would like to use Crystal without BOE on top of BW queries.

Does there exist an overview which Crystal versions don't need a BOE?

To my understanding CR2013 doesn't need a BOE. I could save the reports in BW and the user would access the report via BW or the portal.

Is this correct?

Thanks for your help.

Regards, Andreas

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

abhilash_kumar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Andreas,

With BI 4.1, you now have two Crystal Reports Designer products - CR 2013 and CR for Enterprise.

CR for Enteprise is still maturing and not all features of CR 2013 are available in this product. CR for Enterprise works best with SAP sources whereas CR 2013 works best with non-sap sources.

Having said that, if you wish to connect to a BEx query from CR for Enterprise, *you need BI 4.1*.

CR 2013 can connect to BEx queries without BOE, however things like dynamic prompts, personalization variables etc do not work in the CR Designer - they work only when the report is saved to BOE via the BW Publisher.

And yes, you're right, reports can be saved to BW and the users can access them via the portal, however I'm not very sure what features work and what don't.

-Abhilash

andreas_appelt
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Abhilash,

Thanks. I also just learned that CR2013 without BOE works in a very
limited way:

• Reports can’t not be scheduled and
    distributed to users.
  • Reports can be saved to the BW (NW) but
    they cannot be viewed by the enduser without the BI Plattform (~BOE) or without
    a locally installed Crystal Designer for each enduser (licence fees!)

Regards, Andeas

abhilash_kumar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

CR is not completely reliant on BOE to schedule and distribute reports. There are other third-party alternatives that can do the same.

Re. point 2, I thought you could view reports inside SAP 'without BOE' - I could be wrong, however might know better.

-Abhilash

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member190767
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Andreas,

Using the BW Publishing Service (part of the BI Platform) you have the ability to deploy the CR Docs into the BW system (instead of the BI system)

I not 100% sure, but you do need to deploy at least some components from the BI Platform to be able to deploy Crystal Reports documents directly into the BW system.

for more details on how you can configure the BW Publishing service and store CR documents directly in the BW system, please check out the following posts:

Kind Regards

Merlijn