cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crystal Reports - Connection

putertech
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello. I have a bunch of log files that I need to pull data from and want to pull them into Crystal Reports. What connection do I use to connect to *.log files? Is this possible?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

JWiseman
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

This means that your log files aren't being recognized or found in the ODBC connection.

1. Ensure that in the DSN's General tab that you have the correct Database Directory.
  2. Ensure that in the Advanced tab that you enter extensions like "log" and not ".log".

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

putertech
Explorer
0 Kudos

That worked. Thank you for your help!

putertech
Explorer
0 Kudos

I feel like I'm missing something. When I add Logs connection, it only adds the "add command" that opens the SQL query window. I've gone back to my ODBC and added individual file names, and still get this same window. Any ideas on why?

putertech
Explorer
0 Kudos

I found the "CR TextFile ODBC Driver" in the 64 bit and set up a connection. Entered my database directory. In the advanced tab I changed the data file extension to LOG. Tested the connection and Tested my connection and received "Connection established. Is the correct behavior that when I connect to it in CR as ODBC that a SQL prompt comes up asking me to enter my SQL query?

JWiseman
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

At this point you should have connectivity, so in Crystal go to File > New > Standard Report and then add your log file similar to the pic below. Press Next and then you have the fields available in the Field Explorer dialogue...i.e. there should be no prompt to enter a SQL query.

putertech
Explorer
0 Kudos

I went into the ODBC Settings and added the .log extension (see below). But when I go into Crystal Reports and create a new ODBC connection, the data source doesn't show up. What am I missing?

JWiseman
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Check in your ODBC Admin for a "CR TextFile ODBC Driver", not the Microsoft one. I believe that you need to run a custom installation of Crystal to install the "CR" drivers but not 100% sure.

If you only have the Microsoft text driver, the only way that I've got that one to work is to create a User DSN, as the ODBC Admin didn't save the DSN and that's why it doesn't show up in Crystal. There are lots of posts out there on getting that to work with a System DSN, but none of them have worked for me on Win 11.

JWiseman
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You can create an ODBC System DSN in Microsoft ODBC Administrator (64 Bit). There should be a CR TextFile ODBC Driver. Ensure that in the Advanced tab that you add "log" into the Extension List.