Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CR9 and VS.NET 2003: free license could not be obtained

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I have created some minor reports to be used in a windows service

First time I am messing around with CR, very easy to use etc, but I receive the below

error (free license could not be obtained)

<quote>

A Crystal Reports job failed because a free license could not be obtained in

the time allocated. More licenses can be purchased direct from Crystal

Decisions or through the Crystal Decisions Online Store.

</quote>

VS.NET has been registered correctly and I can see a keycode when I open the

help -> about dialog box in VS

Do I need to buy extra licenses? I was under the impression that the CR

version which came with VS 2003 was free to use?

I know should have read the FM, but ...

Problem with installation/deployment or?

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

- Peter

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

fritzfeltus
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

The CR.net engine is limited to 3 concurrent requests. A request is an action such as setting parameters or exporting.

Please make sure you call the ReportDocument Close() and Dispose() methods when it isn't needed anymore, this will reduce your concurrent request count.

Whitepaper: [Component Licensing Explained|http://diamond.businessobjects.com/node/1523].

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok thanks

If needed do you happen to know if I can extend number of concurrent request, by eg buying more licenses?

I think I saw some documentation on this at the businessobjects.com site a while back

I will have 24 users using the same process printing one report (internal work paper) approx 10 times a day each

rgds/Peter

former_member184995
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Peter,

Unfortunatly no, you can not buy more licenses to expand it.

Crystal is limited to 3 CPL's and can not be expanded.

Even if it was possible we no longer sell CR9 licenses.

If you need to support many concurrent users you will need to go to the Enterprise product most likely.

Regards,

Jason

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks

I will let the user retry the print if an error occurs

It's not a very big issue

rgds/Peter

fritzfeltus
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

You may be able to use the ReportDocument.GetConcurrentUsage method for this, it would return the number of concurrent open jobs.

Cheers,

Fritz

Adam_Stone
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If you upgrade to Crystal Reports XI Developer edition or newer, you will also get queuing. What this does is that any request that is over the 3 concurrent requests will be queued until a free license can be obtained.

Former Member
0 Kudos

>

> If you upgrade to Crystal Reports XI Developer edition or newer, you will also get queuing. What this does is that any request that is over the 3 concurrent requests will be queued until a free license can be obtained.

We're using XI Developer Edition and have the same problem. The problem occurs also if the customer creates 3 previews. So i'm not sure if this 'queuing' really works ...

Since we're using the ReportViewer in a C++ - Application (unmanaged) i see no way to call the .NET functions explained.

Any suggestions if there may be another reason?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry .. the mentioned code can be found here: [;

Former Member
0 Kudos

I solved the issue after several months of trial and error by copying the registry keycode from a working deployment (my development machine) and pasting it into the registry keycode of the machines that were giving the "Free License" error message.

1. On the working machine, run regedit.exe

2. Go to HKEY_LOCAL-machine folder

3. Go to SOFTWARE folder

4. Go to Crystal Decisions\Crystal Reports\VSNET\Keycode\Cr9 NET

5. Double-click the the (Default) registry setting to edit it.

6. Copy the value.

7. Paste it to a text file for later use.

8. Go to the machine giving the error message

9. Go to the same location of the registry key. (save it to another text file for back-up).

10. Paste the value of the working machine registry key from the original text file and click "OK" button.

If you run your application and return to where the free license error message appeared, it should have no longer show up.

Edited by: Robert Lazo on Nov 20, 2008 4:21 PM EST

0 Kudos

Hi All,

Just to clarify, the reason you had to manually copy the keycode is because you did not include it in your deployment package. Using the Merge modules there is a place to enter your keycode so when your deployment package is run the registry is updated.

Thank you

Answers (0)