cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Consuming Hierarchies with native HANA connection

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Problem: we need to consume a level hierarchy in Design Studio 1.6. The level hierarchy was built in HANA, what connections would allow Design Studio to access a level hierarchy in Design Studio?

These are my findings:

Connect via:

- Native HANA: both level hierarchy and parent/child hierarchy won't work

- HANA ODBC: level hierarchy won't work but P/C works

Some research online and found these:

- If the hierarchy is built in Bex query with BW as backend: this will always work

- if the hierarchy is built in IDT with connected via BIP, this will not work

- if the hierarchy is built in universe with connected via BIP, this will not work

Any thoughts?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

This threat explains all.

http://scn.sap.com/thread/3309579

MustafaBensan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Meichun,

Maybe I've missed the relevant part but I'm not sure how that thread addresses the specific issue related to HANA hierarchies that you are facing, not to mention that the post is very old (2013) and HANA connectivity from Design Studio would have been enhanced since then.

Can you clarify?

Thanks,

Mustafa.

IngoH
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Meichun,

that material is 3 years old.

regards

Ingo Hilgefort

IngoH
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Meichun,

which version of Design Studio are you using and are you using the HTTPs connection option?

regards

Ingo Hilgefort

Former Member
0 Kudos

Design Studio 1.6, yes with the HTTPs connection

IngoH
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Meichun,

have you managed to get to the hierarchies ?

I tried parent child and level based and I can see both type of hierarchies in DS 1.6

Ingo

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ingo,

You were able to see hierarchies using Native HANA and/or HANA ODBC?

Thanks

Pat

MustafaBensan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Meichun,

How do you intend to use the Level Hierarchy in the UI?  Do you want to see it in a Crosstab, or Chart?  If in a Crosstab, do you want to see it in a hierarchical structure like a parent-child hierarchy, or do you want to see each level in a separate column as a flat structure?

Regards,

Mustafa.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi thanks for the quick reply. We wanted to use it in crosstab that we can expand/collapse, and click on the content to drilldown()

MustafaBensan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Meichun,

Thanks for the clarification.  It seems to me that HANA level hierarchies may not be supported to display a level hierarchy as a parent-child relationship.  As a workaround you could perhaps just not activate the hierarchy and use only the flattened cascading concept described in the link you have provided.

Others may have alternative suggestions too.

Regards,

Mustafa.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Not sure if i am missing something, I tried both ODBC and HTTPs connections, the level hierarchies we created in HANA are not even visible in Design Studio.