Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting ECC Dev and QA to 1 BW Server

oliver_uy2
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi All,

We are planning to use just 1 BW server for development and QA testing ( and other connection in the future). due to no budget to buy a new BW server.

We do have ECC Dev ,QA, and sometimes Project Dev and QA servers.

Is there a way where we can have multiple clients in BW to support data coming from ECC Dev and QA servers. i read sapnote 522569 indicates BW can't create a new source system outside the BW standard client, and administrator workbench will only be executed in bw client only.

we are currently doing disconnection on Dev and reconnection to QA server and reloading of data everytime. this cause delay in other projects that are still under development everytime we do disconnection. are there other ways if multiple clients is not allowed in BW?

Thanks,

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

magexposito
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Oliver,

As you said multiple clients on a BW system is not allowed if you want to use these clients for BW purpose. What I mean is that you can create as much clients as you want BUT you will use only one of that clients as the BW client.

You can connect a BW system to multiple clients on different system, you only have to create the RFC connections from your BW system to the other systems/clients and then create the source systems on transaction RSA1. Take a look to this:

Creating SAP Source Systems - Business Intelligence - SAP Library

Best regards.

oliver_uy2
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Miguel for your input,

we can connect multiple ECC systems to BW. the problem is in ECC we have created QA server (ECC1) which is different to the Dev server(ECC2). The plan is to have 2 BW server to connect to ECC1 and ECC2 so there will be dev data and QA datas but due to budget, BW only can have 1 server. since now creation of clients cannot be done. any suggestions on how we can have minimal change on the server.

The initial plan is this:

(ECC1) 0FL_GL_4  --> DSO1(BW1 Client 800)

(ECC2) 0FL_GL_4 --> DSO1(BW1 Client 900)

magexposito
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Oliver,

When you say your QA server is different to your DEV server you mean they have different version or SP Stack? As far as I know there is no problem to connect ECC servers with different software version of support package stack to the same client and BW system.

Best regards.

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

sander_vanwilligen
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Oliver,

First of all you cannot define more than one BW client on an SAP instance. This will not work and is not supported.

If you have to work with only one BW system, you are able to connect two ECC systems to it (Development and Quality). They will have to load to the same InfoProviders. I wonder if you are able to manage that.

I strongly recommend for a full system landscape with pairs of ECC and BW. I do not believe that you will save costs with only one BW system, the opposite is true. I have experienced a similar scenario at one of my clients and I can assure you it increased the costs due to additional consultancy and basis administration costs.

Best regards,

Sander

oliver_uy2
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Sander for the inputs.

Apparently management does not recognize the cost of consultancy and basis vs a new system landscape. we still might stick to connect and disconnections to the servers. but we might try to do some redesigning of DSOs and transformations.

Thanks,

KodandaPani_KV
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

we can connect form ECC dev and ECC qas to BI DEV.

please check with the your basis team.

former_member183012
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Oliver,

I would suggest take your BAsis team help regarding Bw landscape.

Regards,

Ganesh Bothe