cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comparison between SAP Event Driven Architecture and SAP Feature - Situation Handling

ankit_chatterjee
Explorer

Both SAP's event driven ecosystem and the feature Situation Handling share the common goal of enhancing real-time responsiveness and facilitating better decision-making through notification of events. How are both different in terms of scope, benefits, applicability, and integration within the SAP environment? Can you share scenarios where EDA is more suitable or exclusive, making Situation Handling unnecessary?

gregorw
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Can you please clarify if you actually mean:

1. The S/4HANA Business Functionality called Situation Handling
  2. SAP Event Driven Architecture based on the SAP BTP Services Event Mesh or Advanced Event Mesh
ankit_chatterjee
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Gregor, yes absolutely!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

KStrothmann
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Ankit,

"SAP Situation Handling is a neat and simple way to pro-actively alert the responsible user of a pending issue. It combines text on how the user needs to proceed to correct the situation (i.e. you can build in to your process your previous knowledge and learnings of how to correct issues). You can also direct users on the actions they need to perform and also link to any needed additional info to help them make quality decisions in resolving the situation."

EDA is a completely different ballgame. First, it is cross vendor and not limited to SAP. Second, it is not only about notifying users, it can be consumed by other cloud apps or backends. In the end you can completely hyperautomate your business processes. Third, it's not just limited to S/4HANA. Event sources could be ECC or SuccessFactors as well, or Kyma for example. Fourth, the backends can consume events as well - it is not just about outbound events. Fifth, events can contain all the required data. So it is not just about notification events. Sixth, you can use EDA to scale and buffer communication between event sources and consumers.

I could go on for a while ..., I guess this should give you an indication.

In the end, EDA is much broader. I doubt that it will replace Situation handling in the situations in which situation handling is suitable - these are two approaches that complement each other.

Best,

Karsten

Answers (0)