cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BIWS - Dashboard Prompts

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Friends,

I am trying to create a Dashboard using BIWS(Web Service) in a Webi Report which is developed on top of a BEX query. I developed a block in webi and successfully published to Web services Repository. I also called this web service in my Dashboard through QAWS. My issue is How to pass a prompt value through BIWS.

In GetReportBlock method, I can see my only prompt "Fiscal Period" - Value of Prompt and Index.

I passed following values to BIWS:

value of prompt = "002.2012" - Cell binding with an excel cell

index = BLANK

refresh = 1

getfromLatestDocumentInstance = 0

getfromUserInstance = 0

But I am not able to see the desired results. I am getting the saved instance from my webi report into Dashboard.

Also, when I test the web service from webi report, it doesnt work. Can you please guide me where am I missing?

Thanks,

Gaurav

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Gaurav,

Have you had any success to your issue of refrshing the Dashboard using BIWS(Web Service) in a Webi Report which is developed on top of a BEX query - as i'm facing the same problem without success.

Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Lloyd,

I am able to refresh the Dashboard using BIWS but with different prompt now. In my query, I have posted Fiscal Year which is still not working. However, with different query where I have Fiscal Year as a prompt, I am able to pass the value and able to refresh the Dashboard. The problem with Fiscal Period seems to be with its format. If you go to SAP BW and see its data type then its NUMC with size 7.

When you see its value in SID then it looks like yyyymmm. For example - feb 2013 will be labeled as 2013002 and now I am passing this as a value to the prompt in web service. Anyways I am still working on it. But if you dont have a date prompt then it seems to be working for me.

Settings made :

ResetState - TRUE

Refresh - TRUE

ValueofPrompt - Bind it to an excel cell and give a value to that excel cell say 2013 for Fiscal Year

I hope it works for you.

Thanks,

Gaurav

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gaurav,

Thanks for your reply, i've had the chance to revist my development and found part of your solution worked for me as well after tweaking the Query prompt selector... thanks again and talk soon!

Thnaks,

-Lloyd

arijit_das
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Following SAP Notes can be helpful:

1805051  - Unable to refresh BIWS in dashboard when Refresh is set to "true".
1755197  - Dashboard does not refresh when connecting to BI Web Services (BIWS).

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gaurav

I usually leave refresh, getfromLatestDocumentInstance, and getfromUserInstance all blank.

However, in the WebI Document Properties, I set the options to "refresh on open".

Also . . . what do you mean by "when I test the web service from webi report, it doesnt work"?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gaurav,

It's true that you can use BIWS instead of live office connection, because the BIWS are more performant than live office connection ...(Your last tread)

Now, you have a Bex query already built, so you can use'it directly in SAP BO Dashboard, without using a Webi Document (unless this Webi document is for other needs ...)

Hope it helps.

Abdess,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi EL-BAHY,

I need to give some intermediate structure which would be useful in processing my dashboard components,Thats why I am using BIWS.

Thanks,

Gaurav

arijit_das
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Write TRUE in a cell inside excel model and bind refresh input to that cell instead of writing 1 in the text field. Does it work ?

Also, is the webi report refreshing properly from launchpad?