In my previous blog MDG DQM: Empowering Your Business with High-Quality Data i talked about the DQM solution in context of MDM. The blog provided a step by step overview of how to create a basic rule in DQM, enable it for data quality evaluation and generating evaluation scores on the in the system for product master.
In today's data-driven landscape, enterprises are increasingly recognizing the significance of maintaining accurate, reliable, and consistent master data to extract meaningful insights and drive informed decision-making.
DQM aims to create a single repository for rules for both validation and derivation purposes which can be exposed in multiple contexts like central governance, mass processing & consolidation. In this blog we will cover the steps required to enable usage of a DQM rule in central governance and mass processing.
Data quality mantra
1. Create a change request type or you can choose to use any existing change request type in your system. Go to the step properties and mark relevant for data quality rules. This will let the system know while processing the change request that the DQM rules( if any) needs to be executed.
2. Go the validation rule Fiori app and add the usage "Check change requests" and do preparation.The preparation step will ensure the same BRF+ expressions can now be used for central governance as well.
3. Once preparation is completed, enable the rule usage for change requests.
4. Now to go creation of a material using your custom change request type and key in the relevant fields. Leave the validation fields blank. In our case i entered the unit of weight but kept gross and net weight 0.
Rule in central governance
5. The system displays the error message and also indicates from which DQM rule, the error is raised for better tracking. The traditional central governance error messages doesn't have help which will tell from where the error is being raised.
1. Activate the BC set for product master mass processing.
Product master mass processing BC set
2. The standard process template SAP_MM_MAS has 3 steps Edit, Validation & activation. However the validation step adapter configuration doesn't have any checks apart from the standard back end customizing checks.
Standard process template
3. We will copy the standard template to a Z template & replace the validation configuration adapter with a Z config ID, which will have "Apply validation rules" checked.
Custom process template
Validation adapter configuration
4. In Validation rules, add the mass processing usage and enable it for mass processing.
Enable mass processing rule usage
5. Create a process with the Z process template and define a scope, I have taken "Authorization group" as scope.
Scope of mass processing
6. Pass the material number and edit the authorization group field.
7. The validation stage prompts an error coming from the rules defined in DQM.
Validation error from DQM
The blog post highlights the re-usability of Data Quality Management (DQM) rules in various contexts, emphasizing the benefits of using MDG DQM as a centralized repository for managing all rules. By creating rules only once and applying them across different areas, such as governance and mass processing, the implementation and testing efforts for validations are significantly reduced. Additionally, maintaining these rules during operations becomes less time-consuming and requires fewer resource
In the future blogs, i will write about validations for custom fields and derivations in case of mass processing & consolidation.
Hope you like this blog, do share your comments and thoughts.