cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A cycle is found in the calculation chain of the key figure.

AndreiLupu
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I am raising a new question on this topic, as the other topics were quite old and perhaps things have changed in the meantime.

I have a request to create three different calculated key figures, at the same planning level, with below oversimplified calculation :

KF1 :

- current period = KF a + KF b (both stored KF's)

- future periods = KF 2 at period -1 

KF 2:

- current period = KF1 + KF c (stored KF)

- future periods  = KF1+ KF3

KF 3: 

- all periods : max (KF2, KF d (stored KF))

I have tried multiple ways to create the KF's : creating separate KF for current period / future periods , using PeriodShifting, CAGGR, helpers, creating a duplicate planning level , but the end results was always the same: cycle is found.

I believe the KF's need to *know* the values for all horizon in order to work and it does not consider that they can start to be calculated with current week and move forwards. Even though i am restricting the values of the KF's using PERIODID's, it does not play a part in the planning area check.

Has anyone came into the same scenario recently? Is there a way to solve the request, w/o using copy operators?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

riyazahmed_ca2
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi @AndreiLupu 

I tried to simplify your calculation to avoid the cycles as much as possible not only in IBP, but also in Excel. I think there is a flaw in the way you presumed the calculation of KF2 and KF3 as they overlap each other in the future. Hence the calculation will stop either at KF2 or KF3. We simply can't get rid of this overlapping error. 

Can you re-validate your solution once again? 

riyazahmed_ca2_0-1718800475727.png

Best Regards,

Riyaz

AndreiLupu
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi @riyazahmed_ca2, there was a small error in my formula for KF 3: as it is max (KF1, KF d (stored KF)). It using KF1 and not KF2.

However, KF1 is derived from KF2 at period -1. So what we would request IBP to do is to calculate starting Period CU and recalculate the KF week by week in a incremental way yet this does not seem to be possible, as IBP seems to need to know the values for all horizon before calculating the KF's. The Formula works fine in Excel, but Excel does not look at the whole cycle.

I have tried breaking up the Key Figures in one KF for current week and one for Future weeks, yet the cycle is still there. Even if we use a copy operator we are still calling values of same cycled key figures between periods.

I believe this is not possible ,therefore I have asked the business to reassess the KF requirements, in the meantime I will try once more using Local Members instead of calculated KF's, perhaps there's some hope there.

I thank you for the time spent on trying to solve this question 

riyazahmed_ca2
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi @AndreiLupu ,

Please try the below one. It is not very complex as it looks. 

riyazahmed_ca2_0-1718867745924.png

Best Regards,

Riyaz

AndreiLupu
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi, @riyazahmed_ca2 . Thanks for the update, but that still does not work. I have created a new planning level identical to the previous one in order to perform the period shift via attribute transformation (PERIODID +1), yet the system still sees the cycle.