SAP for Utilities Discussions
Connect with fellow SAP users to share best practices, troubleshoot challenges, and collaborate on building a sustainable energy future. Join the discussion.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ISU-CCS

Former Member
0 Kudos

A local utility company wishes to engage us for their preliminary sizing for ISU-CCS. My understanding is that this requires the sizing of the ERP (user based) as well as IS Utilities given in the same panel below. This is our first time with utiltities and would appreciate any inputs you can give us on the throughput based section listed under Utilties of the quick sizer.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

amit_sharma1
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Shaishav,

Question which strikes my mind in such case are :

1. What is the Devision (Water/Electricity/Gas/Waste) of the utility company ??

2. If the Devision = "Electricity" then is this company operates in Deregulated market (Europe / Americas) ??

So if the answer of the question 2 is "Yes" then

3. Is this utility company operates in role of "Supplier/Distributor/Transmittor" ??

Thse are the basic sets of questions whaic are to be answered first.

Now moving 2wards your second point, classifying the sections of the utility industry:

1. Master data (business master data).... Will always be applicable

2. Master data (Technical master data).... Will change based on the devision of the company

3. Device management ...... Will be affected based on the devision (But max in case of electricity)

4.Billing and invoicing will always be there

5. Scheduling and regional structure will always be there in any case

5. FI-CA (Ar/AP) will be there in any case

6. CS (Movein/move-out......) will be there always

7. The major portion which will depend upon the type of industry(Devision) for which the implementation is required is :

EDM & IDE-X.

Once you are through with this initial brain storming session i'll send you some links for industry specific best practices.

Hope the information would be helpful.

Best Regards,

Amit Sharma

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shaishav,

Its a difficult one without the details of the data volume and interface and agencies involve d. Can you give some input on this and wether the client is in regulated or de-regulated industry ?

regard s

kp

0 Kudos

hi kirit

the customer is in "electricity" and in India. I guess that means "regulated".

shaishav

0 Kudos

Hi Shaishav,

Please visit these links :

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_utilities472/helpdata/en/c6/4dce68eafc11d18a030000e829fbbd/frameset.htm

https://websmp205.sap-ag.de/rkt

As far as the electicity industry is concerned , Reliance is a major one . You need to ask for few more ,

Wether you want the sysytem in the same box or different , as SAP IS-U sits on top of R/3 you require lot of replication; and middleware experts ,The major challenge is the data uploading as the volume is very high ( use EMIGALL std SAP ) You have various Masters and transaction data involved so the sizing must be done properly .

Let me know what exactly you are looking for and what is your role ?

regards

kp

0 Kudos

hi kirit

my role is to size the project from the hardware perspective and to suggest a landscape....i am familiar with ECC 6.0 but i need to understand the intricacies of an ISU implementation. thanks for the links which i will surely visit.

i need information in this area.

regards

shaishav

0 Kudos

Thanks KP for sending him the Ramp up document link.

Lets categorize the solution into some of the verticals for which you are responsible:

1. Hardware

2. Landscape

3. Volume of the data

4. Size of the company (Customer + employees)

5. Is there some legacy system being used ??(If yes then at least the knowledge of following Business Process:

>> Meter installation

>> Meter reading

>> BIll creation

>> Request processin

)

Well now coming to the answers of these question based out of the vertical:

1. Hardware : it's directly related to answer of the question 4 and 3

e.g : if company is serving let say 1M customer with more then 5K employees then Not only Front office process + Interaction center but also customer portal to integrate all the requirements is necassary (It also depend upon the way it's being done currently and in what ways company like to go about it !!)

2.Landscape

As said initially in this thread IS-U sits on the top of the R/3, as many of the master data is replicated under the standard R/3 componenet e.g:

Connection Object & Device location = Functional location (PP)

Device category = material (MM)

FI-CA(AR/AP)

So the knowledge of the exact landscap is required:

So let see the type of combination which might be possible:

>> CRM (For industries)<----ERP 2005 (IS-U switch on)

(In this landscape the front end system would be crm and erp would enable all the company specific processes to map on the ERP)

I would suggest this landscape when the company is very well off and large in number of customers.

>> IS-U 4.72 on top of R/3

As per my understanding this is the next level of configuration

(Whn company is already running on R/3, but not so flexi to integrate with other legacy components)

3. Volume of DATA:

>>In sync with the size of the company

>>Would some legacy system based processes be used ??

>> Lot of replication of data is required.

Shaishav : I think when you are aware about the ECC 6.0 then better would be if you go throught the link send by the KP and give some time to yourself to get familier with the Business process of this industry.

"IF i've been given 6 hrs to cut down a tree, i'll spend 4 hrs to sharp my Axe - Newton"

Try to get the case study of the implementation of some of the implementation in the Electricity industry and that too where the market is regulated.

I mostly have worked for Europe based industry so i'm not a good person to be contacted for this

Hope information would be benificial.

Some links :

(ECC 6.0)

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_erp2005vp/helpdata/en/c6/4dce68eafc11d18a030000e829fbbd/frameset.htm

(IS-U 4.72)

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_utilities472/helpdata/en/c6/4dce68eafc11d18a030000e829fbbd/frameset.htm

Some case studies:

-

http://www.axonglobal.com/pages/sectors/Utilities/documents/TransformingUtilitiesAxonsGlobalCapabili...

http://www.sap.com/industries/utilities/pdf/Misc_BKW_ROI.pdf

Regards,

Amit

0 Kudos

hi amit

thanks for the detailed note which i will definitely followup as per your instructions for further information. can you suggest the kind of hardware landscape you have seen in Europe on IS installations?. I think i can now frame specific questions to you which you can reply in a yes or no:

01.From your mail i understand that utilities can be implemented in two ways (a) CRM + ECC 6.0 or (b) ISU 4.72 on R3. Since there is no legacy R3 it will be CRM + ECC 6.0: is this understanding correct?

02.When you mention "with the ISU switch on ", i understand that this is within ECC6.0 to enable the IS functionalities?

03.If i was to use the quick sizer, is it correct to conclude that for the ECC portion i use user based sizing and for the ISU i use throughput based as per the quick sizing forms available on the sap site? or do i use CRM + ECC sizing forms?

04.could you name if possible some sites that have deployed SAP ISU on HP Itanium ?

05.For ECC i usually plan for a DB + Apps server (dividing the load 30:70 respectively). In case of ISU (CRM + ECC) are there any other servers required? and do they use the same database?

thanks for newtons note: you are helping me to sharpen this axe:-)

regards

shaishav

0 Kudos

Hi Shaishav,

The answer in the sequence are as follows:

1. Yes (However this is not "ONLY" possible scenario yrt the most used in mine case it was the first one)

2. Yes

3. I think this question would be better asked from the BASIS person, i'm more into functional side ..... sorry

4. Some of thlink i found is :

http://books.google.co.in/books?id=IEtJmO0FuawC&dq=RunningaSizingProjectforSAP&pg=PA81&ots=dcDy3OIZxS&sig=E-vGHCyvHczvamabimeb-OdhLQA&prev=http://www.google.co.in/search%3Fhl%3Den%26q%3DRunning%2Ba%2BSizing%2BProject%2Bfor%2BSAP%2B%26meta%3D&sa=X&oi=print&ct=result&cd=1#PPA117,M1

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/pazteched06

/people/susanne.janssen/blog/2005/07/01/quick-sizer--getting-started

http://www.sizinglounge.com/index.php?swid=sap-my-business-suite&gclid=CL-Mhsa9hYsCFQlnZwodpANqZQ

5. This is somthing which you should ask in the BASIS forum, as this will help you in getting this quite faster.

If you need anything functional in IS-U then do put in this Forum otherwise it would be a kind of long stretched discussion.

That way you can save plenty of time in allotted 4 hrs.

Regards,

Amit

amit_sharma1
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Shaishav,

Question which strikes my mind in such case are :

1. What is the Devision (Water/Electricity/Gas/Waste) of the utility company ??

2. If the Devision = "Electricity" then is this company operates in Deregulated market (Europe / Americas) ??

So if the answer of the question 2 is "Yes" then

3. Is this utility company operates in role of "Supplier/Distributor/Transmittor" ??

Thse are the basic sets of questions whaic are to be answered first.

Now moving 2wards your second point, classifying the sections of the utility industry:

1. Master data (business master data).... Will always be applicable

2. Master data (Technical master data).... Will change based on the devision of the company

3. Device management ...... Will be affected based on the devision (But max in case of electricity)

4.Billing and invoicing will always be there

5. Scheduling and regional structure will always be there in any case

5. FI-CA (Ar/AP) will be there in any case

6. CS (Movein/move-out......) will be there always

7. The major portion which will depend upon the type of industry(Devision) for which the implementation is required is :

EDM & IDE-X.

Once you are through with this initial brain storming session i'll send you some links for industry specific best practices.

Hope the information would be helpful.

Best Regards,

Amit Sharma

0 Kudos

hi amit

the segemnt is "electricity" and in India. The company generates and distributes power in various cities. I would also like to further understand the concept of move in move out wrt to this industry

shaishav

0 Kudos

Hi Shaishav,

Well now its much less ambiguous and easy as well to estimate

Well as far as the move-in / move-out related to Deregulated Electricity industry is concern, It's used in determining the supply scenario when contract is a billable service.

Well for you this scenario is not applicable.so the move-in/move-out process remains alomost same.

As per the initial assessment from my side you won't require the settlement procedure for your case hence use of EDM would almost be negligible.

What about the landscape ?? and release it would be i suppose ERP 2005 or IS-U 4.72 ??

I'll send you some ramp up documents link, which might be benificial.

Regards,

Amit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Shaishav...

I was going thro' this thread and i understood tht ur company is getting an implementation project for the first time in SAP-ISU ...

And I dont knw @ wat extent you are involved in this project...

In any project irrespect of anything ... there is well defined process ... like u hav to upload data frm legacy system to ISU system for which one will use IS Migration Workbench (EMIGALL) and then u will start developing/implementing the system and you have to map the business processes in ISU as the company is based out of India and fortunely i knw how complicated it is as i had worked for reliance energy's ISU implementation...

and if you are jst curious bcuz u gonna be part of the ISU-project and @ the lower level in the hierachy then you probably go thro' the stuff on ISU ... and ISU is really interesting and easy to learn...

hope i m clear...

and it will help

bbye tac care

Ashwani

0 Kudos

dear amit

i am involved to the extent of sizing the hardware and designing the landscape. this is the area where i need inputs. have dealt with conventional ecc6.0 landscapes and would like to understand the intricacies of ISU.

regards

shaishav