cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We want to inform you that this question has been deleted ...

FredericGirod
Active Contributor

Hi team

This is so demotivating to receive reguraly this kind of alert in my INBOX.

So, I have used my personnal time to answer your question, sometimes I have also created an example (yes I am answering the ABAP team), and all is lost.

But why ?

Can we concider, as the question is public, the question and the answers are also public and cannot be deleted (as someone start to answer it) ?

jerryjanda
Community Manager
Community Manager
0 Kudos

Hi, Frederic:

Can you provide a few recent examples of when this happened? If so, please leave a comment with a few links to the questions that were deleted, so I can investigate what happened.

Checking our system, I could only find one recently deleted question relevant to this discussion: https://answers.sap.com/questions/13635451/adding-additional-fields-to-internal-table-if-the.html. (I see that you had commented on it.)

What debjit.singha wrote below isn't 100% accurate. If a question receives an answer, then the poster can't delete it. Only a moderator can, and it's rare that we would delete a question. (The logic is that once the question has an answer, it can become a valuable resource to anyone searching for a solution to a similar problem -- so we want to keep it in the community.)

In the example above, since the question only had comments and no answers, then the poster could delete it. But if you have other examples, I'll check to see if something else is going on...

Kind regards,

--Jerry

FredericGirod
Active Contributor

Hi Jerry,

thanks for your feedback.

This is little bit difficult to give a link of something deleted. I get some of the last deleted topic in my activities:

adding additional fields to internal table if the field has multiple values associated with it.

Strange Behaviour in Ranges

How to add demo organization & data inside ABAP for practice

I am not sure to give a full answer. Most of the time we used to put comment, to have more informations or to give little tips top the requestor. But, for this 3 topics, there were exchange and discussion. This is not empty topics

former_member186338
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Have the same issues in past. Very demotivating.

jerryjanda
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for those examples, Frederic. I can see in all cases that the questions contained your comments, but they didn't contain any answers.

In some cases, I believe your comments included potential answers. For example, in the first question, you commented:

"how can i acheive this, no select statements inside loop is allowed.

"Order numbe should have also an Item Order table, in this table you should find material number. This table is certainly already read, but you could create an inner join to read the data of the item.

"After in the loop of the header data, you could make a loop of the item data to concatenate the value"

If you had submitted this as an answer, then the poster would have been unable to delete the question. (Even "little tips" can qualify as an answer, in my opinion -- even if the answer also requests some additional detail from the poster.) And he could have commented on the answer to keep the discussion going.

That's not a perfect solution, as I recognize there will be situations where all of the exchanges will occur solely in the comments, and that means the poster can still delete the question. But if there's ever a situation where your comment contains part of an answer, then consider posting as an answer instead, which should prevent the question from being deleted.

Beyond that, I'm going to bring the matter to my team -- to get a better understanding of the rationale behind the decision to allow the deletion of questions with comments (but not to allow the deletion of questions with answers).

Kind regards,

--Jerry

DebjitSingha
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello jerry.janda,

This happed today. Question was answered (not commented). Solution is accepted and then deleted completely

https://answers.sap.com/answers/13671030/view.html

seems like

Thanks,

Debjit

jerryjanda
Community Manager
Community Manager
0 Kudos

Hi, debjit.singha:

Please don't post examples of the issue as an answer to this question.

I was the one who accepted your answer to the question. After, we discovered that the poster's blog post violated our rules of engagement, so his content was removed from the community. So it's not the same scenario.

Kind regards,

--Jerry

DebjitSingha
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi jerry.janda,

I was under impression this was deleted by requestor. Thanks for explaining.

Though, I think Q&A was separate from blogpost. We could have kept the Q&A as an independent entity. May be for knowledge base.

Thanks,

Debjit

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

DebjitSingha
Active Contributor

Hi frdric.girod,
Have encountered this issues in past. Seems like even if the question is posted in public domain, question remains a property of the owner/ requestor. So he/She can delete it as deemed fit. Have raised this a year back and this is what I received.
Would love to have this restriction in place.

Thanks,
Debjit