cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade SAP MII - risk with MDO? MDO export

nwalter1
Explorer

Hello,

we are going to upgrade SAP MII 15.2 to SAP MII 15.5. We are using MDO tables in our project and we don't know if there are any problems with MDO tables after the upgrade.

1.) Do you know if the MDO tables are affected with our upgrade purpose?

We also want to make sure, that we can restore the MDO tables content/data if any errors occurs.

2.) How can I export all MDO tables with its content/data?

Thanks for your help!

steve_stubbs
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Nico,

Are you doing an in-place upgrade of an existing MII 15.2 instance, or are you standing up a new MII 15.5 Instance and migrating the MII 15.2 Projects and configurations to the new Instance?

Regards, Steve

nwalter1
Explorer
0 Kudos

I'm doing a in-place upgrade of an existing MII 15.2

steve_stubbs
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Nico,

1. Persistent MDO objects that use the Netweaver Database as the data source should not be modified by the upgrade. Of course, MII project(s) export prior to upgrade is highly recommended.

1.a. Netweaver version should be at 7.5 BEFORE you do the upgrade.

2. There is no built-in MII tool to export/import MDO table data. You will have to build MDO Queries and associated MII transactions to do the following:

• Create MDO Query to Retrieve ALL rows of the MDO Table
  • Call MDO Query from transaction or otherwise save the resulting Recordset to a file
  • Create MDO Insert Query
  • Create MII Transaction to:
  • Retrieve the recordset file
  • Repeat the recordset rows
  • call the MDO Insert Query to insert each row to the MDO table. NOTE: this assumes that the MDO table is EMPTY at this point!!

Regards, Steve

nwalter1
Explorer
0 Kudos

Thanks for your help!

I do have one last question. I noticed that the MDO has a lot of datas in it. E.g. when I call a 'select' on the MDO after a 'Row Count' of 5000 I got a Java heap error.

Is there a way to select ALL rows?

Regards, Nico

steve_stubbs
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Nico,

You will have to increase the Row Count property in your query to a size sufficient to retrieve all of the rows in the MDO.

As to the Java Heap error, you will likely need to work with your Netweaver Basis person to resolve this. He may be able to increase the size of the Java process or make some other changes to increase the available Heap size, if you have sufficient server RAM.

If you are unable to query the MDO table to return the full number of rows, you will then need to work with the Netweaver Database DBA to determine how to perform a database backup/restore to preserve the contents of the MDO tables there.

Regards, Steve

nwalter1
Explorer
0 Kudos

Thanks again for your very fast reply - I really appreciate it!

Do you have any advice or tutorial how to do the following you mentioned?

"If you are unable to query the MDO table to return the full number of rows, you will then need to work with the Netweaver Database DBA to determine how to perform a database backup/restore to preserve the contents of the MDO tables there."

Regards, Nico

steve_stubbs
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Nico,

I am not an expert DBA and do not know what type of backup/restore would be required - will likely also depend on which back end database NetWeaver is using - SQL Server, Oracle, DB2, SAP, etc., and what existing Backup/Restore processes have already been implemented.

Regards, Steve

nwalter1
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Steve,

ok thank you very much anyways! I will get to talk to some NetWeaver experts about that.

Regards, Nico

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (0)