We have requirements where certain actions/Event Reasons result in new positions being required i.e. new Job Codes, Legal Entity, Employee Classification Changes. To date, we've used the "Position Transfer" option in follow up activity which then creates and transfers the employee to the new position. This config also meant that when we do loads for Promotions for the yearly cycle, it would automate the position there as well.
With the 1H release, it seems SF has done away with this functionality and I'm looking to find out how do others manage this process - particularly with loads when you need 800+ new positions, all data mapped, job codes changed etc. etc. - I'm struggling to find a process that is going to work or make sense - and of course 1H goes to Prod right before we have to do the yearly loads so we don't have a lot of time to try and resolve.
Most of my customers use the other version of position management (i.e. position is adjusted and syncs to job info, not job info is updated and adds/updates position), which means your approach was not even a real option for them (although it does indeed have practical benefits).
I can imagine you're not keen to work with import and exports perhaps, but it should be the easiest approach to:
1. Get an extract out of the system of the current state of employees you wish to update for job info (potentially with future dated records) + the fields to update
2. Get a position export (as you'll likely need at least the parent position of the old one and lookup the impacted positions
3. Lookup the updated info from your job info and when that's stored generate a new id for the positions (via a formula)
4. Upload the new updated positions
5. Upload the new updated job info.
Not ideal I may imagine, but if you have mass information it is an approach.