cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EVPRO with multiple hierarchies

todd_paulauskas
Explorer
0 Kudos

We are using BPC 7.5 M SP3 and have a user defined Dimension named COSTCTR. This Dimension has 3 hierarchies in it - PARENTH1, PARENTH2 & PARENTH3. There are members in the dimension that belong to all 3 hierarchies, but sit at different levels (HLEVEL) in each of the 3. We have reports that add spacing to row headers using the REPT() function, and we use EVPRO() to look at the memberID's HLEVEL to come up with the number of spaces to insert.

The issue is that EVPRO() seems to be looking by default at HIR=H1 by default. Can anyone tell me the syntax I would use in the EVPRO() function to point the MEMBER parameter to one of the other hierarchies (HIR=H2 or H3)? I have tried syntax like "COSTCTR.H2.<member id> (with brackets around each) and COSTCTR.H2.<member id> (with brackets around each) and that doesn't seem to work. I'm not sure if my syntax is wrong or if this formula by design can only pull the HLEVEL property from the 1st hierarchy. Any help would be eternally apprecated.

Thanks,

Todd

Edited by: Todd Paulauskas on Nov 3, 2010 3:49 PM

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Experts, don't suppose there's been an update to this issue since 2011? Just wondering if a recent SP helped provide this option to return HLEVEL from hierarchy other than the default.

former_member186498
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Zoheb,

no nothing has changed.

Kind regards

Roberto

Former Member
0 Kudos

It is the same as before in v7.5 SP5. I can't say for v10.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Todd,

This is basically governed by the controlling hierarchy of the application. This is maintained in the application set parameters. Usually, this parameter will have H1, so, the HLEVEL is calculated based on the H1 hierarchy.

Hope this helps.

PatrickFavre
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi,

You're right. You can't retrieve HLEVEL property for other hierarchies. The HLEVEL information comes always from the 1st hierarchy. This is by-design. EVPRO function is not designed to use hierarchy specific information. HLEVEL is a technical property, which is actually not maintained by the user.

I guess you're using HLEVEL in reports for enabling conditionnal formatting? If it's the case, I mean you can build your own property and use it in the report, instead if HLEVEL.

For you information, I know that this change in EVPRO behavior has been escalated as an a enhancement request for future releases of the product. But actually, I think there is no workaround available.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

Patrick

todd_paulauskas
Explorer
0 Kudos

Thanks to both of you for your prompt responses. It definitely helps confirm what I thought.

Thanks,

Todd

0 Kudos

Does anyone know if this issue was fixed in any of the more recent releases of 7.5 or EPM 10.0?