Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Segment Reporting with different fiscal year

atif_farooq
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Guys:

We have a requirement from our client to report segment on different a fiscal year from the one being used by Co.Code. Segment with document splitting are being used to draw complete set of financial statement. Segment is the zero balancing entity. To elaborate, Co.Code has 50 segments , Co.Code has a FY (Jan to December). Few Segments have different FY (Oct to September) whilst other have  March to Feb etc. Concept of non-ledger can not be used since these are segments not the co.code. If anyone has come across this requirement please share .

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

sanilbhandari
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Atif

How will you consolidate the data if all the segments have different fiscal year? How will the trail balance at the legal entity level tie out? Is it a requirement that in addition to having a Fiscal year from Jan to Dec for eg, for the legal entity, some of the segments also need to report at a different fiscal year say from June to May. Also , will one accounting document have two segments with different fiscal requirements? If that is not the case, one of the ways I can think of is to build a validation to avoid such postings, where the segments with different fiscal year are not there in the same accounting document. Now create a special ledger for the specific segments with different fiscal year requirements and flow data into Special Ledger. You will have to use some of the user exit to look at specific segment and than flow data into special ledger. I had used a pretty complex enhancement where we were merging Costing Based COPA and FI data from FAGLFLEXT into Special ledger, but I trust this is achievable.

If there is no requirement of reporting at legal entity level, create segments as new company codes and than SLO to update the data in new company codes.

Thanks & Regards

Sanil Bhandari

atif_farooq
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Sanil:

Many thanks for your reply. This is not a legal entity, its just an owner association for which one co.code is being created so no legal consolidation is required since client is only interested in tower wise financials. We are in Real estate business and using SAP REFX so question of a tie up of trail balance at legal entity level also rules out.Furthermore there will be no booking of expenses or any other across segments so there will be no question of two segments in one a/c document.

A thing i am not clear on is how will this data flow from profit center to special purpose ledger occur, think of an automated posting of receivables to customer coming REFX against building and its rental unit through contract (every building has been assigned to a unique profit center hence the segment) how will this captured in FI-SL . I guess to accomplish the same extensive ABAP is required. Please share your experience on the same.

Thanks

ajaycwa1981
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Atif

You have no choice except defining a separate Co. Code for each Vertical. Within one Co. Code you cant have multiple reporting periods

Ajay M

sanilbhandari
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Atif

While technically it is achievable to get the data in Special Ledger and it is a preety complex enhancement, I really do not see the need of it now that you have mentioned that Company Code balances are really not the concern and it is the tower of segments which you are interested. If that is the case, I would very strongly suggest to go in with a new company code(s) and assign fiscal year variant accordingly. This will be much easier and less time consuming rather than creating a complex enhancement which will also cause duplication of data since FAGLFLEX(*) and special ledger will hold a similar kind of data in most of the cases. Secondly, in my exp it is pretty complex and needs extensive time and resources to make it stable.

So a better way would be is to go in for new company codes.

Regards

Sanil Bhandari

atif_farooq
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sanil & Ajay:

Thanks i was thinking on the same lines but creating 50 Co.Codes i-e one co.code/tower will be overreaching so that is why i had given client idea of document splitting feature thereby treating every building/tower as profit center or segment but this differing fiscal year end for many towers is the hindrance in this approach. Anyways thanks for your feedback.

Answers (0)