cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP ABAP Platform 1909, Developer Edition, can't connect to HDB DB in Eclipse

DenisGaland
Participant

Hello,

I have installed the latest S4/Hana system developer edition with Docker following the annoucement.

https://blogs.sap.com/2021/02/15/sap-abap-platform-1909-developer-edition-available-soon/

It works great, there is just one thing I can't do so far, I would like to connect to the HDB database, I have tried different ways in Eclipse or DBeaver but none of them are working.

So this is the explanation from the hub docker image:

SAP HANA Studio

Please, use <the container's IP> or localhost if you exposed the port 30213 (i.e. -p 30213:30213) or vhcala4hci if you updated your hosts file. Finally use Instance 02 and MDC (the port 30213).

For the database SYSTEMDB, use the user SYSTEM with the password Ldtf5432.

For the database HDB, use the user SAPA4H with the password Ldtf5432.

For the system DB, I can connect, no problem there

For HDB, how can we configure the connection?

This is how I would think it works, could you show how we do it?

axel_moschuering
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello everybody,

I still have problems connecting the Tenant DB (HDB) to eclipse.

SYSTEMDB works fine using port 30215... but HDB does not work.

I get the message "The System cannot be reached. The logon data could not be used."

Any ideas ?

Thank you all and best wishes,

Axel

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

The Port is 30215 for the Tenant DB (HXE) .Unfortunately Port expose and publish has to happen when a container is created. This is what I heard when checking . So I deleted the existing container and created the container again with the command

sudo docker run --stop-timeout 3600 -i --name a4h -h vhcala4hci -p 3200:3200 -p 3300:3300 -p 8443:8443 -p 30213:30213 -p 30215:30215 -p 50000:50000 -p 50001:50001 store/saplabs/abaptrial:1909 -agree-to-sap-license -skip-limits-check

Please note that I have added the port 30215 in the command. Now the connection to the Tenant DB (HXE) works in Eclipse and DBeaver.

I had installed the Container in a Virtual Machine(openSUSE).

vhcala4hci:30215 ==> Tenant DB (if vhcala4hci is added in the hosts file or IP Address:30215)

VikrantJ
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Thankyou for the suggestion. I have recreated the container with the addtional port as mentioned and the Tenant DB as HDB instance as 02 and vhcalc4hci:30215 in the connection with user as SAPA4H and the password as Ldtf5432. It finally worked.

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

DenisGaland
Participant

Hello Francois,

I was missing adding the port in the command, going further we see that it tries to use the port 30215, but that was not enough, like this as you described it is fine.

And for DBeaver

Thank you Francois

Denis

0 Kudos

Thanks mate, it worked with the port in HANA STUDIO.

shai_greenberg
Participant
0 Kudos

Adding the port worked for me as well. What's confusing about this is that the preview for the connection in Eclipse shows the port twice, but this can be ignored.

dvankempen
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Hi Denis,

SQL port 3xx13 connects to the nameserver process, which hosts the system database.

To connect to a tenant database, you need to connect to the SQL port of the indexserver process.

You can query the system database for the SQL port (M_SERVICES) or look it up in HANA studio but with 99.99% certainty this is probably 30215 in your case.

Just add a new system connection and use port 30215 instead of 30213.

Solves the issue?

VikrantJ
Discoverer
0 Kudos

I am also facing similar issue. I need to log in to HDB to test some things like writing a script to download all the data in table directly to the OS.

DenisGaland
Participant
0 Kudos

I have recreated an instance of docker s4, with forwarding the port 30215, but the issue persists from Eclipse or Dbeaver, unable to reach HDB database outside the docker connection.

So if someone is able to do it, please share 🙂

DenisGaland
Participant
0 Kudos

Ok, it seems the problem is the port 30215 is not fowarded from The Docker image to my Windows machine.

I am searching for a way to add a port forwarding to the Docker image, in a Windows machine, without recreating a S4 image, I can't find the solution so far, if someone has an idea?

DenisGaland
Participant
0 Kudos

Ah I just saw that my screenshots were not taken in my answer

I have a successful connection with the system db, it uses the port 30215 as I can see from the properties of the connection.

This is how I am trying to establish the connection for HDB

https://pasteboard.co/JSyO3pJ.png

https://pasteboard.co/JSyPboV.png

https://pasteboard.co/JSyPzSO.png

This is the list of services that are provided by the developer edition, I don't see a indexserver process, should that be the cause?

https://pasteboard.co/JSyQ87a.png

Former Member
0 Kudos

FWIW, SAPA4H via 30215 works in my SAPGUI. not seeing much reason to go to Eclipse for my ABAP development.