cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PO versioning in CIG component

KlugS
Explorer
0 Kudos

Since 2024 we are using CIG component in our SAP backend system to create purchase orders and send them via our interface to Ariba Business Network. We had some months to gain experience with CIG but also collected some issues that we’re now trying to solve.

In CIG component a PO versioning seems to be foreseen. That means that whenever a PO is created, it is marked with version number 1 in the respective SAP table. Whenever a change on that PO is done, version numbers increase in the respective SAP table. Those version numbers are part of the PO Idoc and also transmitted in PO cxml to Ariba Business Network.

According to our backend logic, we do not want to send every single PO change to the supplier. There might always be some internal changes like accounting information, internal texts etc. which are not relevant/interesting for the suppliers. Therefore such changes do not lead to a successful PO output message. Nevertheless, according to CIG standard logic, it leads to an increase of PO version number in the respective SAP table.

Whenever such a PO is cancelled at a later point of time, PO cancellation message is sent with a higher version number than the current active message in Ariba Business Network. As Ariba Business Network expects a cancellation always to have the same version number than the PO message which should be cancelled, this leads to an error message in CIG and PO cancellation not reaching Ariba Business Network.

We would appreciate to receive any best practices, similar experiences or suggested solutions how we could handle those issues in future.

Thanks a lot in advance.  

JashShah
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos
Hi KlugS - Ideally PO has Type of request: new (default), update, or delete. Update and delete orders must use the DocumentReference element with the payloadID to refer to the original purchase order. When you cancel it creates a PO with the incremental version because of that only. Could you share the error message what you are receiving in CIG? Is it from ISMG or SBN?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

KlugS
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi JashShah,

thank you for your reply. Of course I can share the error message: “Order version of the cancellation order is not the same as the original order: The original order has version (X), while the cancellation order has (Y)”. This message comes from Ariba Business Network. To avoid misunderstandings: We are aware that cancellation and original message should ideally be sent with the same version numbers to avoid this error.

As I tried to explain, according to our PO process not every PO change should be sent towards our suppliers. Therefore version numbers are sometimes increased in the background without sending a PO output message. Whenever such a PO is cancelled at a later point of time, it leads to this error message in CIG.

I am searching for best practices how to deal with that as I assume there are more partners like us having “internal only” PO changes.