cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use "time" variables in planning layout?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear experts,

I keep on having problems in defining planning layouts with variables for the characteristic "period/year".

In my planning layout, I have defined 4 value field columns representing the four quarters in a year.

I defined variable 1 and 2. Variable 1 is defined as "Period from" and variable 2 as "Period to".

Planning level and package are defined with char. "period/year: from 001.2009 to 012.2009".

I get the following error message:

"You defined variable &$19 for characteristic Period/year. Here, the SAP System attmepts to automatically determine the value of &$19 after entry of the value of variable &$1. However, no variable &$1 was defined."

Does anyone know what to do? ti have defined the columns as follows:

Column 1, Q1: value field "Sales qty" with char. "Period/year", using variable from 1+0 to 2-9 (representing first period to last period -9 months)

Column 2, Q2: value field "Sales qty" with char. "Period/year", using variable from 1+3 to 2-6 (representing third period to last period - 6 months)

Column 3, Q3: value field "Sales qty" with char. "Period/year", using variable from 1+6 to 2-3 (representing period 7 to last period - 3 months)

Column 4, Q4: value field "Sales qty" with char. "Period/year", using variable from 1+9 to 2-0 (representing period ten to last period)

I would appreciate your response very much

Greetings

Stephan

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member188826
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You may want to try out without using a variable, but perhaps actual period from and to.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Sridhar,

Thanks for your response.

I can of course use the actual dates like 001.2010-003.2010 etc....

But then, the users should change all the dates of all the planning layouts each year, that's not very practical and may cause errors in the design.

When using variables, the user only needs to change the "from" and "to" value in the planning level.

What is your opinion on this?

Greetings

Stephan

former_member188826
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I agree with you a variable is more sound approach. Ideally, if period can be separated from the year, we could better manage the variables.

With the given sceanrio and limitation, as long as it is not a rolling quarter, the quarter could be fixed to the standard period. The following year, the report could be copied to change only the periods.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sridhar,

thanks, I think your solution is the best possible. IT support should then by means of an instruction change dates every year.

Regards,

Stephan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear all,

Regarding the char. "period/year", If I define my columns as follows the planning layout is saved without errors:

Column 1, Q1: period year - from 1 to 2-9 (jan-mar)

Column 2, Q2: period year - from 1+3 to 2-6 (mar-jun)

Column 3, Q3: period year - from 1+6 to 2-3 (jul-sep)

Column 4, Q4: period year - from 1+9 to 2 (oct-dec)

The planning layout is now saved withuot errors but when I want to use it in the planning level/package I get the following error (see below). However, when I follow the procedure I get the previous error (see my first message in this thread)

Can anyone help?

Greetings

Stephan

-

Diagnosis

Planning layout "AMBUDGETQ" contains a selection condition for characteristic "PERIO", for which either the from-value or the to-value is a base variable. Layouts of this kind cannot be used here.

A base variable is a variable that does not have a calculation rule (such as for period "$1" but not for "$1*12").

Procedure

Only use layouts in which base variables are used in the following ways:

For individual values, or

For both the from-value and to-value of an interval

Modify planning layout "AMBUDGETQ" accordingly or use a different planning layout.

-