Enterprise Resource Planning Blogs by Members
Gain new perspectives and knowledge about enterprise resource planning in blog posts from community members. Share your own comments and ERP insights today!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rupesh_brahmankar3
Active Contributor

Often, many industries like FMGC, chemical, pharmaceutical, etc use multiple similar resources to manufacture a product.

E.g. A plant has many mfg bagger, or filling lines with identical capacities. A product is chronologically said to be manufactured in bagger 2. Alternatively this product also can be manufactured in bagger 3 or bagger 4 if needed. On shop-floor business cannot determine the primary resource to be used until shortly before order processing. But in mid to long term planning, they want to assign a suitable planning resource to the operations provisionally.

The constraint for long term planning needs to be on planning resources. In the short term the flexibility needs to be given for resource selection based on SKU. This can be mapped in different ways in SAP.

1. By multiple production Versions with multiple master recipe

This method is most widely used but requires laborious master data maintenance as one recipe has to be created explicitly for each resource and has to be assigned to one production version respectively.

2. By manual selection in the Order.

The resource is changed manually on the Order. This change requires a single approval process if ECM to be used. Production Planners will feel as more work and any change which needs a Quality Approval in GMP environments will take more time to create and release the order for production.

3. By Resource Selection through classification.

SAP provides another way of maintaining this alternate resource selection by using resource classification.

We can use a planning resource as the primary resource and select the alternate resource through the resource network maintained through work center classification (type 019). This also works well with ECM and is a good option for Planners as there is no need of Single Approval from QA personnel.

Create a Characteristic (T-Code CT04)

We can create classifications in ECC for suboperations and secondary resources.

In Additional data tap define Table Name as CRHD and Field Name as ARBPL.

Create Class and assign characteristics to class T Code: CL02

Assign classification in resource T Code: CRC1 or CRC2

All relevant alternative work centers must contain exactly the same classification and characteristic value assignment. Work centers with different classes or characteristic values are ignored.

Assign the classification in master recipe and add alternate resources T Code: C201 or C202

Create process order COR1 or By MRP Planned order to Process order

On the operations tab, select the operation 10 and click on Resource selection condition

Product can be produced on all 3 lines here you can select the resource accordingly.

Capacity Planning CM25

We can change the resource from this screen by dragging and dropping it to another resource from the resource section.

Resource classification automatically creates multiple modes in APO PDS or PPM, so it can be used in PPDS while converting SNP Plan orders to PPDS plan orders. And in DS board we can schedule the order on required resources.

If we want to use different capacities for planning, but for execution purposes we only want to use one resource. So from many lines in mid term planning to accommodate constraints, but for short term we use single resource for production execution.

61 Comments
former_member670800
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Dear Rupesh Sir,.

Your document was self explanatory, but I have issue when I followed the same steps and mentioned the issue below.

Dear Rupesh Sir,

Your document is self explanatory, I too followed the same process but I have some issues as mentioned below.

We are facing an issue while we are planning on alternative resources.
we have classified the resource using class type 019 and assign that class to the operation in master recipe.

while defining the class in the master recipe we have defined the alternative resources which planner can plan for certain SKU’s.

But in the planning board (CM25) when we drag and drop the orders on other resources apart from the classified, it is still allowing to do so.

How can we prevent orders planning on wrong resources?

Please guide me sir, this has become very critical.

Thanks in advance

On the operations tab, selected the operation 0040 and click on Resource selection condition, the alternate resource option is popping out for selection

Expectation is order 777123 and 777124 should allow drag and drop on only between MELT1

MELT2 MIX1 MIX2

But it is allowing to drag it on other resources as well like C199MIX C200MIX etc. Which is not feasible.

rupesh_brahmankar3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Hello,

For your strategy profile ZPPI_G001 check if you have set

Reschedule with production versions
Terminate when resched.with prod.version rescheduling

Not sure if it will work for process order however planned order it should.

So in CM21/CM25, enter a work center/resource  belongs to classification (e.g. work center / resource

MELT1MELT2 MIX1 MIX2) and a work center that does not belong do not select that.

Or check user exit CY190001 FM EXIT_SAPLCY19_001 User exits to change order operation where you can valid the classified resource.

Best Regards,

R.Brahmankar
i520
Advisor
Advisor
Excellent work rupesh.brahmankar3

Thank you for sharing such a great content.

Regards.

Farid.
rupesh_brahmankar3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Thanks a lot i520

former_member183783
Contributor
0 Kudos
Hi,R Brahmankar:

Is this operation only valid in process order ? I couldn't see this option in production order. thanks.

On the operations tab, select the operation 10 and click on Resource selection condition
rupesh_brahmankar3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Hello Zev,

In Discrete manufacturing you can use the parallel or alternative sequence in routing too
Nonetheless you can also try the operation classification, from that please refer my comment on dated February 14, 2014 at 7:03 am

Best Regards,

R.Brahmankar
former_member183783
Contributor
0 Kudos
Hi,R Brahmankar:

Your comment on "dated February 14, 2014 at 7:03 am" show how to assign the characteristic value in routing CA02.

But how to change the work center in production order? I couldn't find the option to change the characteristic value in production order ,and trigger the work center replacement in production order.

thanks.
Dear Rupesh,

Thanks for such detailed explanation, as I am trying the solution to discrete manufacturing and facing an issue in choosing the work center in production order for selection function under operation overview.  I didn't find any option to choose the work center for operation 10.

Dear shailesh.mishra5.

With reference to your comment dated on March 18th  2015 Can you please help how it worked for discrete manufacturing? How you have chosen the work center characteristic value in production order before release?

Dear monst.yang

Please assign the same class to all relevant work centers first and then go to routing under operation view , Go to extras and choose classification. There you can assign all work centers as characteristic values. If you face any information pop-up for class type conversion please run the program for class type 019 and it will work.

Best Regards,

Rajesh G

rupesh_brahmankar3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Hello Rajesh,

There is no option for an operation classification in production order. However you can exchange the operation sequence you can use the alternative sequence or parallel operation. Also order split also supported in discreate manufacturing. Nonetheless,  if you are using PPDS you can use the alternative mode from PDS to schedule your order on different resources.

Best Regards,

R.Brahmankar
former_member620323
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Hi Rupesh,

Thanks for sharing.

Do you know how to assign resource classification in master recipe in mass ? LSMW shows below screen, not normal t code screen.

former_member831820
Discoverer
0 Kudos
Dear Rupesh Sir.

Created the 19th class. assigned a class number (ca02) in the technical card of the operation. saved it. I'm deleting the classification from the operation, saving it. When you view it again, the classification remains, the number is empty. Tell me what could be the problem and the reason?

I create a classification of operations

После удаления, захожу на просмотр ... Классификация осталась, значение признака удалилось

Please guide me sir, this has become very critical.

Thanks in advance
Labels in this area