cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ides database is lost!!!! How to restore it?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

I lost IDES database on my Mobile client. Suddenly it vanished from the system. Cannot find it in MSSQL folder/enterprise manager, data sources.

How can I restore it back?

Thanks & Regards,

Praveen

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

first you should check whether the DB files are still there:

ides.mdf and ides_log.ldf in directory <C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Data>

If not I am afraid that you lost somehow...:-((

If yes you should try to attach the DB manually by using the SQL stored procedures sp_attach_db resp. sp_attach_single_file_db.

For this you should see the Transact-SQL Help within Query Analyzer.

Good luck!

Regards,

Wolfhard

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello all,

Thanks for all your help.

I just tried to re-create another DSN with the same name, though it shows in the DSN list in the Data Sources(ODBC) and it worked.

I'm able to open the client console, without any errors and assign the site.

Thanks & Regards,

Praveen.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Wolfhard/Niranjan,

Thanks for your replies.

I somehow got the database back. I dont remember how I've got it,but it was a SAP Mobile tool, where it asked me whether to recover the database or not. I said 'yes'. Then fortunately I got the ides.MDF file back in the "..\root\MSSQL\Data" folder.

When I checked the properties of the database in the Enterprise manager, there were only one role under permissions tab. Then I ran all the scripts mentioned in the "<Mobile_installation_DVD>\databases\latin1" and I got all the roles (3) applicable for this.

But when I try to open Client console, it throws an error saying "Unable to connect the User Databse(UDB). Later I checked the ODBC settings, where DSN "ides" is present, but when I try to configure it, it says "ides is not an existing data source name". I can't even reomove it manually, to add a new one.

How should I proceed? Please help.

Regards,

Praveen

niranjanraju
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Praveen,

You first need to check if the MDF is present in the data folder and if so, you could follow the steps mentioned in 1st thread.

Else, you could use the SwitchDB.exe present in the Bin.net folder. Using this tool, you could browse to the folder where IDES.car is present (This should be within the databases folder under Mobile_Client_Installation on the DVD).

This would extract the CAR file and attach the MDF file for you. Then you need to run all the scripts present within the databases\Latin1 folder. These would recreate the logins and assign each login to the appropriate SQL Server roles.

You could find more information on how to use SwitchDB in the installation guide.

I hope this helps you in resolving the issue.

Niranjan

(Reward points would be appreciated if you feel this issue is resolved).

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi praveen,

dont wory.pls chk once, i am sending some urls pls chk them

i think ur problem may solve.

Backup:

1) Open the SQL Server Enterprise Manager.

2) Click on "Microsoft SQL Servers" in left pane.

3) Expand your server group.

4) Click on "Databases".

5) Right click in the database for which you wish to take backup.

6) Click on "All Tasks" > "Backup Database". A new backup window will appear.

7) Select "Database-Complete" option.

😎 Click on "Add" button in destination frame. A new window appears for selecting backup destination.

9) Select "Filename" option.

10) Enter Path where you wish to save backup along with the file name of the backup set. Please specify extension ".bak" for file name of the backup set.

11) Click "OK" twise.

12) A progress indicatior will show backup progress.

Restore:

Login to the SQL server,

choose and run Enterprise Manager.

Select the database onto which you would like to restore the data,

right click on the database,

select 'Restore database' from under the 'All tasks' menu.

Under the 'General' tab, select 'From Device'.

From under the 'parameters' section, click 'select device'.

From the dialog box that appears, select 'add'. Browse to the .BAK file using the option under 'File'.

Select 'OK' across all sub options and finally the main dialog box to perform the restore operation

alll the best.

http://www.taborcommunications.com/dsstar/02/1126/105124.html

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Database/Software/CRM/SAP/Q_22647594.html

www.syncsort.com/newsdocs/press/bex_part_pr_sap1.pdf

thanks

karthik

reward me points if helpfull