Career Corner Discussions
Join the conversation in the Career Corner group to ask career-related questions, find approaches to building skills, and seek career advancements.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ABAP Job Oppurtunity in India

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

My name is Harish and i am project lead in one of the reputed MNC. I have experience of 10 years and I am a technical person worked in technologies like .Net, Java, Sql Server & Oracle. My current package is 12L.

I am planning to change my domain to SAP Technical. After doing some analysis in internet it seems that SAP does have opportunities for technical person.

Some of the languages which SAP does use are ABAP(own code of SAP), J2EE & tech.components for developing portal & mobile app's.

Can you please someone guide me if changing my domain to SAP technical will not do any harm for to my career. I have enquired couple of institutes and they do teach advance ABAP. They are told me that i can get placed in SAP ABAP with the current designation. I have almost started preparation and about to join the class shortly.

But i do not know whether i am taking a right decision as i have no one to guide me clearly.

I hope someone in this community will read this and provide me their advice.

1. How will be the future of SAP technical experts?

2. Is it possible for me to get into SAP tech with my current experience (10 years),role(project lead) and Technical(Java & .Net knowledge) along with Advance ABAP?

3. What is the industry standard salary which i can demand in india?

Awaiting help.

Many Thanks

K Harish

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

former_member183424
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Kadavath Harish wrote:

After doing some analysis in internet it seems that SAP does have opportunities for technical person.

Some of the languages which SAP does use are ABAP(own code of SAP), J2EE & tech.components for developing portal & mobile app's.

2. Is it possible for me to get into SAP tech with my current experience (10 years),role(project lead) and Technical(Java & .Net knowledge) along with Advance ABAP?

Your first statement is right...

Maximum organization needs the technical consultant because or develop any Z report...

1. Its good.. technical is always preferable for manufacturing industries...

2. Yes, its possible... You can get into SAP anytime you want...

3. Its depend on industry.. No one can't tell this..

I suggest, please learn SAP BASIS along with ABAP module.. It will be better for your future..

7 REPLIES 7

former_member183424
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Kadavath Harish wrote:

After doing some analysis in internet it seems that SAP does have opportunities for technical person.

Your first statement is right...

Maximum organization needs the technical consultant because or develop any Z report...

1. Its good.. technical is always preferable for manufacturing industries...

2. Yes, its possible... You can get into SAP anytime you want...

3. Its depend on industry.. No one can't tell this..

I suggest, please learn SAP BASIS along with ABAP module.. It will be better for your future..

0 Kudos

Hi Dev,

Thanks for your suggestion.

I have basic question, Is ABAP only used for creating customized version of report Or is it also used for creating customized User Interface Screens for the modules?

And what is the real use of J2EE in ABAP(SAP)?

Cheers

0 Kudos

Not only customized version of report, Any type of Z reports, and any enhancement,

Anything about coding against user exit / Badi /FM etc..

I haven't knowledge about User Interface Screens, but I can guess its a work for BASIS consultant...

0 Kudos

Hi Harish,

the answer to your first question's are

1. This is just a rumour that abap will not used after some years, it will get replaced, and this rumour is  in market from more than 15 years (heard from seniors), obviously there are to many skopes for abaper always exists, let us suppose a comany is going to implement SAP for its use, now sap will provide only a standard package to that company, and as the business scenario of each company is not fixed, so whatever the business scenario will be, it will totally implemented by technical consultant with the help of functional consultant.

As a developer i have worked on too many stuffs incuding creation of reports, smartforms, user-exits ,badi, bapi, idocs, etc so if your concern is that how much exposure a technical person will get, the answer is "you can't imagine, because the sap world is too far in terms of new techniques". So don't      be panic for that, there are too many things that are implemented by technical person, and as you are having JAVA advantage it will becomes fruitful to you, remember one thing , when you have started learning java, it was not easy for you (i hope based on my experience because i was also a  java lover during my academics, it may not for you so plz don't mind  ). In this you have to enhance standard screens based on business needs and so on.

2. Yes , you may enter in SAP WORLD, because java is also used with sap at some platform.

3. Can't say anything about salary, because it totally depends on industry exposure .

If still you have any doughts regards abap dev., please revert.

0 Kudos

Hi Sanjeev,

Thanks for the guidance.

Can you please let me know the list topics which needs to be covered as part of ABAP training (Advance). i i am planning to get both basic & advance level of ABAP training.

Also is the ABAP certifcation mandatory to get job?

And what will be my role if i get into SAP as technical, currently my role is project lead. Kindly help.

Thanks

Harish

0 Kudos

Thanks Dev for your response.

0 Kudos

Hi Harish,

for your kind information, a certification in SAP never gurantees a job, its simple because in certification only theory questions are asked, which are totally different when you work for real scenario in sap, if you wants to do any advance level certifications you can do it, but remember it will boost only your resume and will not surve any purpose with your job hunt (may serve if your luck supports you ).

When it comes to know about advance level in sap abap, i will prefer you to learn basic syntax and semantics in abap (which is necessary). As we have to understand the meaning of below statement when we are newbie to java ( i hope you don't laugh at me, because it was me who learned it 8 yrs. back  )

Public static void main { String args[] }

so in abap there are so many things awhich are so common to us and we have to understands its basics, so that we can make use of it whenever we needs to develop abap related stuffs. Webdynpro is another tool where your knowledge of java will be utilised well (Webdynpro is an advance tool of  abap).

So if you contacts with the institute you wants to get trained, please ask about the topic and then plaese revert me with all the topics they will cover, then i can make you choose better options, as i don't know what are there , so if i will make any guess , it will not fruitful to you. You can follow me if you wants, then you will able to contact me directly.

When it comes to your role in any organisation, it varies from company to company, a major problem is that in sap world any senior level post requires END-TO-END implementation experience, so i will prefer to talk to your project head or concerned person in your own organisation if he can do something for you, because in outside world, no one will see your experience in java, but will only see how many end to end implementation you have done ,

so better to get this advantage from your organisation itself, or talk to any senior person in your organisation, they will sure do any fruitful thing for you.

I am always ready to answer your queries, so feel free to revert me.