Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Writing remote callable functionmodule with tables

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I need to write a remote callable function module compatible with those from the past thus using tables.

However if I try, I get an error message that TABLES are obsolete. In the past that was a warning only.

Is there a flag which does allow backward compatible Function Modules as in the past?

Regards

Detlef

5 REPLIES 5

PeterJonker
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

But why you need to use tables ? I don't think there is any setting to go around this error message.

As you said you used to be able to click away this message. For me that still works, but it probably depends on the system version you are working on. ( I need to click away the message a couple of times though)

There is a reason why these TABLES parameters have been declared obsolete. It is not just to annoy us developers !n. In OO they don't work anymore and since we all need to prgress to OO devloping it would be good if you would still try to avoid them and use the import, export and change paraneters,

with a table typed parameter.

Do you eed to do this because the function module got deleted and needs to be recreated ? Otherwise I cannot imagine a scenario where you HAVE TO use tables. So, if you can, please explain why you have to use TABLES.

http://help.sap.com/abapdocu_702/en/abaptables_parameters_obsolete.htm

matt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Tables parameters do still work in an OO environment. I often call legacy FM from within classes.

If you are transferring huge quantities of data, the network load using IMPORT/EXPORT and a table type is considerably more than if you use TABLES. Certainly, with RFCs you used to get a warning that table types in IMPORT/EXPORT can cause problems, simultaneously with warnings not to use TABLES! I don't know if this is still the case.

matt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

What version are you using? The help here for 740 says, in the section on obsolescence, offers an exception to not using TABLES:

Exception

Provided that basXML is not set as the RFC log, using TABLES parameters for remote-enabled function modules for RFC can be significantly faster than passing by means of the CHANGING parameter.

Former Member
0 Kudos

...which in itself is a nice case of mistranslation. Both log and protocol can be translated to the German Protokoll. The RFC log should really be the RFC protocol here.

matt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

It did read a little odd. Though English does have "protocol" as report as well.