Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is Buffer allowed but switched off?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sir in table attributes What is Buffer allowed but switched off?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Saurabh,

There are three options for buffering for tables...

1. Buffering allowed

2. Buffering not allowed

3. Buffering allowed but switched off.

Buffering allowed but switched off means originally

buffering is allowed but now table is not buffered at

application server, If you retrieve same table again,

data will be fetched from Database Server.

Regards,

Narinder Hartala

9 REPLIES 9

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Saurabh,

There are three options for buffering for tables...

1. Buffering allowed

2. Buffering not allowed

3. Buffering allowed but switched off.

Buffering allowed but switched off means originally

buffering is allowed but now table is not buffered at

application server, If you retrieve same table again,

data will be fetched from Database Server.

Regards,

Narinder Hartala

0 Kudos

Sir If we have to again fatch data from Database server then what is the difference between options --

Buffering not allowed and

Buffering allowed but switched off

0 Kudos

Hi Saurabh,

In this case there's no difference. But The option <i>Buffering Alllowed but Switched Off</i> is used only for a short span of time, for example, for testing purposes. Generally, when you define the table in SE11, you will decide whether the data from the table should be buffered or not.

In some cases, you would define the table with buffering allowed, but switched off. This may be because recommend that the table be buffered, but want to let the customer make the final decision.

Regards,

Anand Mandalika.

0 Kudos

Can we change the buffering option after we have record in the table?

Customer Means the company which is going to implement or the Testing team or the end-user ?

0 Kudos

Hi Saurabh,

Of course you can change the buffering option even after the table had got records. Buffering does not have to do with the data that the table has. It determines how and where from the data in a table has to be fetched from.

Customer here means the company which is implementing the R/3 system (or any other mySAP Components) where the table is being created. End users have got nothing to do with the buffering type of the table. Typically (though not necessarily) every customer will have an in-house technical team to look after their technical issues related to SAP. This team might specify in the requirement that a particular table should be allowed for maintenance etc.,

If you have further doubts, please do get back.

Regards,

Anand Mandalika.

0 Kudos

It means that when we make some table and give it to user then they are free to make changes in the table ? For SAP table I'm getting that they have their product and they have some standard but what about Y-Z tables ? They are made from user side? Then is there use of Buffer allowed but switched off ? because at that time we are at customer side...that's the last question from my side on this topic

0 Kudos

Hi Saurabh,

All objects (programs, tables, function modules, transaction codes etc.,) developed by anybody other than SAP will have to start with either a Y or a Z.

You will not be able to change the tables delivered by SAP unless you have a special permission from SAP.

Now, if you have got a standard table which is delivered by SAP (which does not begin with a Y or a Z), then either it would have the buffering attribute set or it is fully buffered. And this should generally not be changed.

But if there's a table that you have developed, then you can choose the buffering type as you wish.

I can't think of a reason why an SAP table would be delivered with the "buffering allowed but switched off" option. It could <i>probably</i> be so in cases where the table is recommended for generic-record buffering, but SAP wants you to decide which key should be used. This is a relatively remote scenario, but seems a <i>plausible</i> explanation. And almost in all such cases, there would be an SAP note for the same.

By the way, hvae you been able to find any standard table which has got this option for buffering? If yes, then please gimme the name of the table and I will try to find out more details..

Regards,

Anand Mandalika.

0 Kudos

Sir..now I have got the difference b/w the diff buffering... Initially I was confused with Buffer allowed but switched off.. other two option are clear with their words.... Thanks for giving me your valuable time

Saurabh Garg

0 Kudos

Saurabh

The first two options mean the same thing technically, that buffering is switched off. The third option means buffering is switched on.

The difference between the first two options is semantic. Standard tables that have option one (Buffering not allowed) should never be buffered by the customer. Standard tables with option two (Buffering allowed but switched off) are tables that SAP have found can improve performance when buffered but can also cause problems when buffered for some customers, i.e. they can be buffered but it is very dependant on the customer's installation (perhaps very sensitive to different customising settings). If a customer's technical team believes buffering standard tables delivered with option two could be beneficial then they could switch buffering on. Standard tables delivered with option one should never be buffered at any customer site.

So, standard tables delivered with option two, are potential candidates for buffering after a thorough analysis by the technical team members.

N.B. unlike most modifications to standard repository objects, changing the buffering settings on a standard table does not have to be registered in the SCCR in the service marketplace. Display the table in SE11, goto technical settings, switch to change mode, change the buffering, save, check, activate.

Kind regards