Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Version Management

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

We are trying to implement some new SAP ABAP standards and want to rename the majority of our programs. Does anyone know of a way to carry the version management for the old program name forward to the new name? I don't know if this matters, but we are on a 4.6c system.

Thanks,

Becky

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

RichHeilman
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

You will lose the version management when renaming your ABAP programs. Don't think that there is a way around this.

Regards,

Rich Heilman

9 REPLIES 9

RichHeilman
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

You will lose the version management when renaming your ABAP programs. Don't think that there is a way around this.

Regards,

Rich Heilman

Former Member
0 Kudos

You could consider copying the programs rather than renaming

them. In the new copy, put in a comment that refers to the old name.

Keep the old and new versions in your development system only because

that is probably the only system where you are keeping versions.

Have you considered the problem where some of your ABAPs may be

SUBMITting other ABAPs? You would need to do a scan of your

ABAPs to find any SUBMIT commands to other Z or Y ABAPs.

Changing Function Module names would obviously require changing all

the calls to the Function Modules.

Let us know how it goes.

0 Kudos

This was considered and it was decided that we don't want two copies of the program out there. Now we are looking into changing the table that contains the versions to the new program name. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Becky

0 Kudos

Hello Rebecca,

I can't help putting in a comment here. As had been pointed out, all the versioning information is lost when you do a rename. This is essentially because, the Renaming is a two-step process -

1. Deletion of the old / existing object (along with all the versioning information ).

and

2. Creation of the new object.

Hope you can now see that it is not possible to achieve what you want. It is not that the information exists in the system and you can't access it.

And lastly, what you had suggested does not make sense, simply because the tables responsible for the versioning will have the Object name as a part of they key. and Obviously, it is absurd to try ot change the key field of any table. You just can't do it!!

Hope that helps. Please get back if you have some doubts remaining.

Regards,

Anand Mandalika.

0 Kudos

It might delete the program but it does not delete the versioning (at least in 46c). You can recreate a program with the same name and go into version management and all of the versions are still there, which is why we are thinking of changing the tables.

Becky

0 Kudos

Hello Rebecca,

You're right. There's something new and rather strange that I have learnt today. Even if the older program does not exist, its versions do exist in the database.

Here's what I have done.

1. Create a temporary program ZTEST1.

2. Generate a few versions for this program.

3. Rename the program ZTEST1 to , say ZTEST2.

4. Now, the program ZTEST1 does not exist, but you can still see the versions that you have generated for it.

The system says that there's no ZTEST1 in the <b>Development Database</b>, but there are a few versions of this program in the <b>Version Database</b>.

If somebody can explain this, it would be really great.

In the meanwhile, Rebecca, please don't rush to manipulate the table entries. There ought to be a more elegant way to do it.

Regards,

Anand Mandalika.

0 Kudos

You have all these versions anyway so an extra copy is no big deal. You can set editor lock in the attributes of the old program so that no one can ever change it again. Editor lock is on the Attributes screen of the program.

0 Kudos

The suggestion of Charles is the only right one.

Whatever you do on tables VRSD, SMODISRC, VRSMODISRC, etc. You'll get inconsistencies.

For sure!

I never dit it. But it seems that there is an option to archive programs. At least there is a flag ARCHIVED in table VRSD.

Someone has expiriece with that?

Regards

Ferdi

ChristianFi
Active Participant
0 Kudos

I guess it was 2 years ago where I have seen a impressive (and also scary) presentation on a migration to a namespace.

Since not only reports but also ddic elements were involved - complex scan programs had to be written - updates on change logs, version managment - (auto)adjustments on source, source scans to find dynamic calls of development objects (the where used list is not sufficient here), etc....

They put a lot of effort in it and my conclusion was that you really need a good reason to go through all that stuff.

As far as I know the SLO Group of SAP provides assistance in such regards.

Christian