Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPL Activated in Managed Systems - Now What?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

First post for me in the UPL SCN. I believe I have correctly activated UPL data collection in our managed ABAP Systems. (Followed this link to do so: https://websmp104.sap-ag.de/~sapidb1000358700000427102012E)

I can run the sa38 report /SDF/UPL_CONTROL and it shows that is in on and working. Also report /SDF/SHOW_UPL will show me a bunch of returned data when I click execute. (these are being ran on the abap systems themselves).

My question is, now what? Where do I go inside solution manager to begin seeing if this data is being stored in the SolMan BW? Any insight, work center locations, reports or anything else will help.

Thanks,

Zach

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

bjoern_panter
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Hi Zach,

activation of UPL in managed system directly is only a workaround and a quick view.

You sahll do this activation from a Solution Manager system. Only then the UPL data will be

transfered to Solman.

Here the UPL data will be

- saved in BW cubes

- aggregated to weeks , months and years

- queries and APIs available to extract data

UPL data is used in

- Custom Code management usage reporting to analyse last usage of given custom codes

- used in SEA tool to generate semi dynamic TBOMs

- used in System recommendation to validate the impact of notes on exdecuted code

- Reverse Documentation to analyse business processes

- and many more

What you have done is the initial technical validation and activation.

But NOW you have prepared the baseline for holistic transparency about usage.

The journey of analysis and data mining starts now.

So it is not the goald to activate UPL. It is more to think about whta is your task and is UPL able to help you.

regards

Björn

3 REPLIES 3

bjoern_panter
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Hi Zach,

activation of UPL in managed system directly is only a workaround and a quick view.

You sahll do this activation from a Solution Manager system. Only then the UPL data will be

transfered to Solman.

Here the UPL data will be

- saved in BW cubes

- aggregated to weeks , months and years

- queries and APIs available to extract data

UPL data is used in

- Custom Code management usage reporting to analyse last usage of given custom codes

- used in SEA tool to generate semi dynamic TBOMs

- used in System recommendation to validate the impact of notes on exdecuted code

- Reverse Documentation to analyse business processes

- and many more

What you have done is the initial technical validation and activation.

But NOW you have prepared the baseline for holistic transparency about usage.

The journey of analysis and data mining starts now.

So it is not the goald to activate UPL. It is more to think about whta is your task and is UPL able to help you.

regards

Björn

0 Kudos

Bjoern,

Thanks for the reply. This makes sense now, its not just merely activiating but more about what you do with this data next.

To address the first part of your reply, I activated the BW Cubes and the extractors from the Solution Manager side which then scheduled the daily job. So I think I am good to go from the SolMan side instead of using the 'directly in the managed systems workaround'.

Is there a place in Solution Manager where I can check that this data is visibile to SolMan now?

0 Kudos

Hello Davis.

To check whether the UPL is moving into your Solution Manager system, please do the following.

1) In your Solution Manager system, run transaction code RSRT.
2) The following are  UPL queries:

• 0SM_CCL_UPL_CUSTOBJ_AGGR CCL Customer Objects UPL aggregated
  • 0SM_CCL_UPL_MONTH UPL monthly Report
  • 0SM_CCL_UPL_CUSTOB CCL Custom Objects UPL
  • 0SM_CCL_UPL_OBJM UPL Data for Object
  • 0SM_CCL_UPL_CUSTOBJ CCL Customer Objects UPL
  • 0SM_CCL_UPL UPL Report

3) Either execute the queries for BW output test in SAPGUI window or press "ABAP Web" to open them in browser via BEx (Use your SAPGUI credentials for a pop up window if necessary).

Please check this guide for details.

https://websmp202.sap-ag.de/~sapidb/011000358700000427102012E

Regards.