Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unicode Conversion

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Friends:

Myself Arpit and i work for an european based major healthcare company as a Head SAP. We run on SAP 4.7 and I am looking at doing the Unicode Conversion as in few countries, our users are not well conversant in accesing SAP system in the english language. I am putting few questions in white and i would appreciate if someone expert could spend some time in answering these questions.

Q: Difference between just activating Ukraine language pack ( multi language pack) and Unicode implementation.

Q: Will the translation of the description happen. i.e. Description of a entry entered in Ukraine, but can be also viewed in English language ?

Q: All official Print out documents like invoice ,delivery note, purchase order etc can be printed in Ukraine language ?

Q: Do we have to maintain all master records in both English & Ukraine or Unicode will take care of this ( ie we maintain only in English, but viewable to others in all languages as they select while login).

Please answer these question as i have decide upon the unicode decision.

Regards

Arpit.

1 REPLY 1

Former Member
0 Kudos

>Q: Difference between just activating Ukraine language pack ( multi language pack) and Unicode implementation.

Unicode conversion is required for the system to be able to support multiple alphabets. The Ukrainian language pack is simply a set of texts so that the user can logon in Ukrainian and see SAP menus & dialogs in Ukrainian. You should convert to Unicode before installing Ukrainian language pack, otherwise you will have turned your system into an MDMP system which makes subsequent Unicode conversion much more complex.

Another watchout - I'm pretty sure that Ukrainian language pack is NOT available for 4.7 - it is only released for ERP 6.0.

>Q: Will the translation of the description happen. i.e. Description of a entry entered in Ukraine, but can be also viewed in English language ?

No - Unicode doesn't enable any kind of automatic translation, it just gives you the capability to store characters from multiple alphabets (English, Ukrainian, Chinese etc) in the same database without any issue, since every character has a unique byte value.

>Q: All official Print out documents like invoice ,delivery note, purchase order etc can be printed in Ukraine language ?

In theory, yes. In practise you may find issues with certain older printers, and you may need to update device types and forms to use the correct character sets and fonts.

><Q: Do we have to maintain all master records in both English & Ukraine or Unicode will take care of this ( ie we maintain only in English, but viewable to others in all languages as they select while login).

Yes - see earlier answer. Unicode does not enable any kind of automagic translation.