Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to debug fm in SM58 inspite of setting

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I am facing a strange problem. I am calling a function module in BACKGROUND TASK. Now I want to debug this function module so just before the fm is called I am checking the checkbox In background task - do not process. Now as commit work is fired I open SM58 and I find this fm logged in SM58.But when I go the edit menu to debug LUW sap executes the function module instead of allowing me to debug.

Previously I thought it could be an authorization issue so I asked the basis guy to give me SAP_ALL and he gave me this authorization still the debugger scren is not opened.

Can you tell me is any special authorization / setting needed to debug a trfc from SM58 .

Thanks and Regards

Sweta

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

raviprakash
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Sweta,

Background job cannot be debugged in conventional way. You can debug update tasks by choosing "Settings->Change Debugger Profile/Settings" but for background this might not work.

Also, you can try by choosing "Settings->System Debugging On". I doubt that these will work. But finally one option is there which will definitely work.

Go to transaction SM50. Choose your background job. Goto Administration->Program->Debugging. This way you can debug a background job.

Many regards,

Ravi.

2 REPLIES 2

raviprakash
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Sweta,

Background job cannot be debugged in conventional way. You can debug update tasks by choosing "Settings->Change Debugger Profile/Settings" but for background this might not work.

Also, you can try by choosing "Settings->System Debugging On". I doubt that these will work. But finally one option is there which will definitely work.

Go to transaction SM50. Choose your background job. Goto Administration->Program->Debugging. This way you can debug a background job.

Many regards,

Ravi.

0 Kudos

But I think SM58 is used for debugging function modules which are called in background task...Sap helps say so thats why I used SM58.