Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sorting the Internal table by 3 fields.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

On the Selection screen i have 3 parameter fields of 1 character. And i need to sort the final output table with these 3 fields. The scenario will be like...the user will be putting the 1 to 3 numbers in these fields randomly.  For e.g, if the user puts the entry for field 1 as 1, for field 2 as 2, and for field 3 as 3 in the three fields on selection screen, then i need to sort the output table in the order as: Sort ITAB by 1 2 3.

So now i want to know if the the user puts the values randomly on the selection screen..how to capture the values from the selection screen and sort the internal table.

Thanks & Regards,

Santosh.

3 REPLIES 3

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I guess you can use the table addition with your sort statement:

DATA: otab  TYPE abap_sortorder_tab,

oline TYPE abap_sortorder.

oline-name = p1.

APPEND oline TO otab.

oline-name = p2.

APPEND oline TO otab.

oline-name = p3.

APPEND oline TO otab.

TRY.
    SORT itab BY (otab).
  CATCH cx_sy_dyn_table_ill_comp_val.
    MESSAGE 'Wrong column name!' TYPE 'I' DISPLAY LIKE 'E'.
ENDTRY.

But I would have used a select-option field instead to hold the fields name...

Or maybe I did not understood properly your request?

Kr,

Manu.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You can use the following:

SORT itab by (otab).

otab will have the selection screen fields according to user specification.Find the order in the program and populate otab accordingly.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Archna

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

It seems you have not seen the F1 help for SORT statement. Check SORT itab. You shall get a very good example given by SAP on how to sort an internal table using BY OTAB.

Danish