Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Send file from external FTP to SAP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus,

Legacy system is creating files on external FTP server in .ASC format

Now the requirement is whenever ASC format file available in external FTP directory, file should be picked up by ABAP BDC program and process the documents immedaitely.

BDC program is already available in SAP system, whenever legacy system write file on external FTP directory ABAP program should trigger and process the file

Could please tell us how to trigger the ABAP program immedaitely when the file writeen in FTP directory

Tivoli workload scheduler can helpfull in this case ? if yes please explain how it will work

Thanks in advance

Raj

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I don't know this Tivoli scheduler product but if it can trigger an event in SAP or run an RFC-enabled function module, then you could use it to do one of those things. The event cab be used to trigger a scheduled background job.

If the software cannot trigger an SAP event then you could write your own BAPI/remote-enabled FM to either a) Perform the processing you required (using the FTP'd file) or b) raise an SAP event using cl_batch_event=>raise - this would trigger a batch job to process the file.

I guess there are probably middleware/mapping solutions which could enable this also - PI? but it really depends if this is a one-off or if there are other interfaces you plan to automate.

If you can't trigger an RFC frm theTivoli software, then you'd need to write your own program (C / VBA / other?) to perform this call.

(Just some thoughts).

Regards, Andy

2 REPLIES 2

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I don't know this Tivoli scheduler product but if it can trigger an event in SAP or run an RFC-enabled function module, then you could use it to do one of those things. The event cab be used to trigger a scheduled background job.

If the software cannot trigger an SAP event then you could write your own BAPI/remote-enabled FM to either a) Perform the processing you required (using the FTP'd file) or b) raise an SAP event using cl_batch_event=>raise - this would trigger a batch job to process the file.

I guess there are probably middleware/mapping solutions which could enable this also - PI? but it really depends if this is a one-off or if there are other interfaces you plan to automate.

If you can't trigger an RFC frm theTivoli software, then you'd need to write your own program (C / VBA / other?) to perform this call.

(Just some thoughts).

Regards, Andy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

U can execute some unix command from ABAP using fm SXPG_COMMAND_EXECUTE. Pull the file using FTP command.

Put some wait, and check for file presence in ur local app server.

If sucessful then after do the BDC code.

Regards,

Amitava