Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to understand Runtime Errors from standard transactions

VijayaKrishnaG
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Experts, Good Day.

When the Runtime error occurred in Standard transaction or standard table, I just escalated to my senior and he resolved that. But, I would like to know the procedure or methodology to track the issue or understand the issue when Runtime Error occurred from any standard transactions or standard tables. So that I can handled those issues.

Thanks & Regards,

Vijay

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

raymond_giuseppi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Did you find blogs like Analyzing Problems Using ABAP Short Dumps: Part I and Analyzing Problems Using ABAP Short Dumps: Part II during your search at SCN ?

Regards,

Raymond

15 REPLIES 15

FredericGirod
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

experiences    that's all

you could also tried each time to check yourself with service.sap.com/notes with some keywords ..

Regards

Fred

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

- patience is required to check and analyze the errors. google and sap oss notes check

- sitting with the seniors and way of their understanding the issue

- business process knowledge

- divergent thinking on the issue

- experience

0 Kudos

I'm note sure sitting with senior is a good idea, because you don't do it yourself, you copy the error of the senior .. (senior is not a perfect person, its only someone who have more experience than you )

for me the master world is  CURIOSITY, and if Vijayjrushna asking for this it's the good beginning !

regards

Fred

0 Kudos

haha....agreed

atul_mohanty
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Vijay-

In ST22, try to check the section 'What happened, What can you do, Error analysis and most important the source code Source Code Extract.

Do some analysis on these by yourself, then probably you will able to understand the issue and resolve by your own.

It does not mean that by doing the above steps you will to understand all the run time errors, but by doing this probably you will resolve some issues by your own.

Also as suggested by Fred,  service.sap.com/notes.

Regards,

Atul Mohanty

nabheetscn
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

My two cents will be first

• What does dump says in detail read each sentence carefully
  • SM21 if need be.
  • Then my most favorite is SCN BABA search it search it..
  • service.sap.com
  • If nothing prevails then post a discussion to get all experts views and ask senior people

Nabheet

0 Kudos

classic

0 Kudos

Half of the stuff written in dump log is hexadecimal. A person would have to be Neo to decipher that Matrix.

0 Kudos

You think also SAP is THE Matrix ?! 

Fred

0 Kudos

You are right.. but still i feel it sometimes give clues to the nerd herd like us. I once thought to write a utility to covnert any dump into readable format but that thought still remains

Nabheet

0 Kudos

Time to promote my content.

Raw spool data also has similar hex data. I wrote program to convert it to regular text.

You can refer it for hex to text conversion part.

0 Kudos

In a way, yes.

We stay hooked to it, and argue over things like points, 'great blog' comments...

I am sure many wake up midnight just to see how much attention a particular content has grabbed.

The virtual liking and rating is connected to real emotions.

raymond_giuseppi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Did you find blogs like Analyzing Problems Using ABAP Short Dumps: Part I and Analyzing Problems Using ABAP Short Dumps: Part II during your search at SCN ?

Regards,

Raymond

0 Kudos

Agent Brown: Perhaps we are asking the wrong questions

Shouldn't we ask whether search tool was used?

former_member223537
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Vijay,

For ECC EHP7, SAP has provided a tool to identify relevant SAP OSS Notes. You just need to run the steps by which you get the error/dump for the std. tcode & if any relevant SAP Note is available for your support pack, it would be displayed immediately :-

http://scn.sap.com/community/erp/sd/billing/blog/2013/12/06/the-power-of-tools--how-anst-can-help-yo...

Thanks,

Best regards,

Prashant