Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hex Code for EoF indicator

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Folks,

I have a requirement to develop a flat extract program (no issue there). The problem is that the users require a '' character to indicate end of file.

I presume that there is a hex or unicode character that represents this character. Can anyone tell me a) what it is, or how to find out if it is contained in the installation codepage; and b) how to I write the hex character to the dataset - all attempts to write out hex characters have resulted in the text value representing the associated symbol being written out in character format (i.e. 20 rather than ' ', for example).

Sincerest thanks.

Regards,

Steve

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

athavanraja
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

list of hex characters

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C0_and_C1_control_codes

DATA:eof TYPE x VALUE '1A' .

Regards

Raja

3 REPLIES 3

athavanraja
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

list of hex characters

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C0_and_C1_control_codes

DATA:eof TYPE x VALUE '1A' .

Regards

Raja

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi folks,

Follow-up problem - I've opened the dataset for output as a character field, but I get a dump when I try to write the hex value for EoF ('1A') to the dataset. The error states that system interprets the type x field as a 'non-character type', and therefore won't permit it to be written to the dataset.

I've tried changing the encoding parameter on the open dataset statement from default to non-unicode, but with no success. Similarly, I've tried to convert the hex value to character, but then I get a character field with the value '1A' instead to the box symbol I require.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Steve

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Stephen,

Even I am facing the similar problem.

I have to prepare a file in SAP to be sent to the Mainframe system to be faxed to the client.

It contains these control charaters(hex 1A) and I have no clue on how to represent this symbol in SAP and send it to the mainframe system.

In case you were able to find a solution to this problem,let me know.

A quick response would be highly appreciated as it is urgent.

Regards,

Puneet Jhari.