Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Field label from data element (language dependent)

former_member201275
Active Contributor
0 Kudos


I have 2 development systems and am struggling to get different language from a standard sap data element.

On Dev system 1 the program is:

   parameters:  l_file1  like filename-fileintern.

In the selection texts of the program I select "Dictionary ref." and the text is automatically populated with the value "Logical File" i.e. it picks it up from the data element FILEINTERN of the parameter.

Now I log out and log back in in German and in this field I have "logische Datei" i.e. as expected this is the value in the data element of FILEINTERN.

When I logon in English and execute the program, the selection screen has "Logical File", and when I login in German and execute the program the selection screen has "logische Datei".

All well and good at this point and everything works as expected.

On Dev system 2 I have exactly the same program i.e. the same parameter, and same selection text settings.

However when I logon in English and execute the program I get "Logical File", but when I log on in German and execute it displays "L_FILE1" i.e. the name of the parameter and not the data element text value?

Any help greatly appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I think in the second system, the translation  the field is empty for German language.

goto SE11 and for the data element check the translation is maintained or not.

In MENU GOTO>TRANSLATION

Regards

Sree

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Glen,

there might have been differences in installation configuration of both developing systems. Check in Dev 2 if there is a translation to German of your data element.

I'm guessing you have some problem in your SAP installed languages. If so contact you SAP adm.

regards,

Edgar

0 Kudos

Hi Edgar and Sree,

Yes I have checked the data element in both systems and it is identical. In fact in the 2nd system when I log in in German and display the selection text it is correctly in German, only when I execute the program I don't get the value on the screen!

I realise I can simply uncheck this "dictionary ref." and translate the value myself but i want to understand why this doesn't work.... argh.

0 Kudos

I suppose you can try to check differences in transaction SMLT yourself...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Glen ;

I think you should control the "TADIR" table from SE16N.If the "Original System" field is different ,you have to edit and enter the correct system name.

Regards

Özgün