Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Explanation for Exchange Rate returned by Sales Order BAPI

vijayanandpaul_puvvula3
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello,

Sales Order BAPI is returning the exchange rate for an Item as '-8.4999999999999995E-4'. This is the exchange rate for USD -> KRW. The conversion is correct (0.00085) but could someone explain why there is a '-ve' sign in the front ? What does it signify ?

Thanks,

Vijay.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Um... I only see the minus sign, what's '-ve' ?

Anyways... It probably has something to do with the fact that the standard FM for exchange rate returns negative value. It's explained in the documentation, I think. Ran into this myself but haven't really looked for explanation. Google 'exchange rate function site:sap.com'.

6 REPLIES 6

vijayanandpaul_puvvula3
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Just to clarify, since for every Item the exchange rate is sent in this fashion, need to give a clear cut rule to the receiving system, in what scenarios, would a -ve be sent.

Thanks,

VIjay

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Um... I only see the minus sign, what's '-ve' ?

Anyways... It probably has something to do with the fact that the standard FM for exchange rate returns negative value. It's explained in the documentation, I think. Ran into this myself but haven't really looked for explanation. Google 'exchange rate function site:sap.com'.

0 Kudos

Thanks Jelena,

I could explain E-4 at the end. But am unable to explain the '-' in the beginning.

USD-> USD is sent as '1.0E0'

So  '-' signifies the value is '<1' ?

I am not using any conversion and just sending whatever the BAPI returns which is in '-8.4999999999999995E-4'.

Thanks,

Vijay.

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes, minus sign means negative value. Found the explanation, now I remember - it has something to do with indirect rate:

Problem in passing Negative Exchange Rate to BAPI | SCN

0 Kudos

'-' value is not a negative value but '<1'. So for now asked the receiving application to concentrate on the value '8.4999999999999995E-4' and ignore the '-ve' sign.

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I honestly still don't understand what's '-ve' sign. If you are referring to the dash between E and 4 then it pertains to Exponentiation. In your original post there was also a minus sign before 8. The post I mentioned explains why this FM sometimes returns negative values.

Either way if this has been answered then kindly close the discussion. Thank you.