Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Distribution model mandatory

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

Can anybody please explain when the Distribution model is mandatory for IDoc generation?

I have done a set up in my sap sytem that as soon as PO is created, IDoc is generated.

But if I delete the distribution model, IDoc is not generated. But in some other cases, IDocs are generated without having a distribution model. Can someone pls throw some light on this.

Thanks very much.

Regards,

Rudresh

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

manubhutani
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

it is not necessary that in case of idocs distribution model will be checked..

for most of these standard transactions, dist mmodel s checked for receiver details

if youmake your own code to create an idoc.. then no need for distrib modl

just create LS, partner profile and port

and pass in ur codee

it will workfor ex.. if you change master data ,may be PO and if change pointers are activated

then it will check distribution model

let me know if you have any doubt.

6 REPLIES 6

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

basically not in each case a distr. model is necessary. Especially if custom progs are used the programmer might not check the model to see whether a IDoc should be generated. But the common way is to have the distr. model set up correctly. I guess almost all SAP standard progs check the model for a relevant entry before creation of an IDoc.. Not fully sure.

But I suggest to maintain the model in BD64 and distribute troughout your landscape. It improves the support efforts a lot and also helps to make the changes being implemented faster and easier!

Regards,

Kai

jaideepsharma
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Distribution Model describes the ALE message flow between logical systems. The relationships between logical systems, message types, BAPIs, and filters are defined in the distribution model. Applications and the ALE layer user the distribution model to determine receivers and to control the data distribution. You can specify the relationships between logical systems, message types, BAPIs and filters in the distribution model. Applications and the ALE layer use the model to determine receivers and to control the data distribution. In the distribution model you can specify the messages to be sent to a given logical system. You can also define the conditions for the content and dispatch of messages in the filters. The distribution model consists of one or more views that you can define. With more complex distribution tasks you can assign business sub-areas or groups of logical systems to separate views.

The relevant views of the distribution model must be available in all the logical systems involved in ALE. You can find the functions for distributing views in Customizing for ALE.

After creating distribution model we generate partner profiles.In case you have maintained the receiver details in partner profiles in transaction WE20 then you don't have to maintain distribution model.

KR Jaideep,

0 Kudos

HI,

I maintained the partner detail in the receiving system in WE20 as well but If delete my distribution model, IDocs are not getting generated. If I create and distribute the model again, IDocs start getting created.

Maintaining a distribution model will always be helpful but I am still not pretty sure in which case we MUST have a distribution model and when we can go ahead without a distribution model.

Please suggest.Thanks.

Regards,

Rudresh

0 Kudos

Hi,

How are you triggering the idocs ?? Is it through standard program or using a custom report or ??

Secondly, what entry are you maintaining in distribution model ? Is it against message type or for a BAPI. Check if there is a call to function module ALE_ASYNC_BAPI_GET_RECEIVER or

ALE_SYNC_BAPI_GET_RECEIVER in your program used to trigger idoc. These function module fetches receiver details from Distribution model. In that case you will have to maintain the correct entries in model.

KR Jaideep,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Whats the distribution model?

A set of table entries which tells for this sender for this receiver this IDOC can be sent, If filters are

set this it will filter out data accordingly. Now this is the reason program fails to check if IDOC should be generated in absence of BD64.

As you are mentioning IDOC gets generated without BD64 but I am not quite sure on this, unless program hardcodes the above entries (recipient system) in program.

let me know if it helps.

manubhutani
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

it is not necessary that in case of idocs distribution model will be checked..

for most of these standard transactions, dist mmodel s checked for receiver details

if youmake your own code to create an idoc.. then no need for distrib modl

just create LS, partner profile and port

and pass in ur codee

it will workfor ex.. if you change master data ,may be PO and if change pointers are activated

then it will check distribution model

let me know if you have any doubt.