Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

difference between RP_PROVIDE_FROM_LAST and RP-PROVIDE-FROM-LAST

former_member206394
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Can anyone tell me the difference between RP_PROVIDE_FROM_LAST and RP-PROVIDE-FROM-LAST? Both the macros are same difference is with underscore(_) and hiphen(-). Both are working fine for the functionality without any difference. Then why there are two macros for a single functionality?

12 REPLIES 12

former_member225631
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi, all are underscore only. Please refer the following documentaions.

<Link farm removed>

Edited by: Suhas Saha on Jan 18, 2012 7:25 PM

0 Kudos

No, i have used that macro both with underscore and hiphen which has worked fine for both of those. And that is the reason why i would like to know why are those two same?

0 Kudos

Hi Suhas,

I have given link to SAP documentation only, but it is removed. Would you please suggest how to give the reference?

Anand - if you could find the reference, the OP should have no trouble finding it as well.

Edited by: Rob Burbank on Jan 19, 2012 10:55 AM

0 Kudos

Just providing the links are considered as link farming ( which are against the rules of the forums ), the links would be removed for the following reasons:

1) If a link is provided( not many ) , then you must point out the explanation in it

2) If the links were easily searchable by the OP

3) If the links just direct you to sap documentation

4) If the reply consists only bunch of link references.

I think the 3rd & 4th point made your post to be deleted.

There are no links which states the differences between these two Macro's. Mod's are doing their right job, please join them and make this forum clean

Kesav

0 Kudos

Hi Keshav. T

Can you be more elaborative in the explanation about the difference and stating about SLIN please. Will that SLIN replaces the symbol that is not allowed with the symbol that is allowed?(i hope it cant be, if that is the case, it should replace all the syntactical errors)

0 Kudos

Hi,

There is no difference in both the Macro's( The SAP Documentation is same for both ). The RP_PROVIDE_FROM_LAST is the replacement for RP-PROVIDE-FROM-LAST. Same as the obsolete objects getting replaced by the new ones. SLIN ( Extended Syntax Check ) cannot change anything by itself. Also I assume that RP_PROVIDE_FROM_LAST is used in PNPCE and not in PNP.

What i mean to say is that generally '-' is not supported in declaratons in unicode systems.

Hope you understood.

0 Kudos

Hi,

You can check the valid macro in the table TRMAC. Only RP-PROVIDE-FROM-LAST exists but not RP_PROVIDE_FROM_LAST.

Regards,

Preetham

0 Kudos

As that RP_PROVIDE_FROM_LAST doesnt exist in TRMAC, it should not be syntactically correct and it should throw an error. But it is working very fine without any error. In one of my codes, i have used both of them and they worked very fine without any syntax error.

I have used in PNP LDB only.

0 Kudos

Hi,

one of them is in trmac AND OTHER is in SAPDBPNP program (LDB progra of PNP)

Both have same functionality.

Regards,

Manu

0 Kudos

I know this thread is 3,5 years old, but still I want to add a little update here:

• 'RP-PROVIDE-FROM-LAST': the macros with the hiphen(-) are stored in table 'TRMAC' and can't be used anymore with LDB PNPCE.
  • 'RP_PROVIDE_FROM_LAST': the macros available for LDB PNPCE with the underscore(_) can be found in the Include-Program 'DBPNPCEF001' used in the Program for the LDB PNPCE: 'SAPDBPNPCE'.

kesavadas_thekkillath
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

First of all sorry that I reported this thread yesterday misunderstanding the question :).

The reason would be ,for example in the sample program below:

report abc.

define abc-xyz.

end-of-definiton.

define abc_xyz.

end-of-definition.

Its says a message in SLIN that macro name abc-xyz cannot be used. As you know that this message comes only in unicode systems. May be this is the reason for replacement. As you know that LDB PNP is older than PNPCE.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

If you use PNPCE as LDB in your programs you have to use macro rp_provide_from_last.

But if you use PNP as LDB in your program you have to use macro rp-provide-from-last.