Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DBF format download in application server ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Could you let me know if its possible to download file in application server as DBF format, while running in backrgound mode ?.

Any feedback..work-arounds.. would be great help!.

Thanks & Regards,

Neeth

4 REPLIES 4

christian_wohlfahrt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Neeth!

With open dataset ... transfer you are using either binary or ascii mode.

If your output can be interpreted as DBF afterwards, it's just a question of the bytes you are writing.

So if you can convert your data into DBF format before saving as file, then it's not a problem.

My file explorer doesn't know .dbf - I don't know what's inside. Sorry, I can't get into more details.

Regards,

Christian

0 Kudos

Hi Christian,

I am using as shown below,

OPEN DATASET l_path FOR OUTPUT IN TEXT MODE MESSAGE

LOOP AT i_header.

TRANSFER i_header TO l_path.

ENDLOOP.

*DBF is basically DBASE format,which opens into MS-Excel.

Currently as a work-around I am writting comma delimeted

file, so user shoud open in excel and then do save-as '*.DBF'.

Also, when I do download to app.server as '.DBF' it saves

the file but the internal formatting is changed. For PC foreground exe the DBF format is saved correctly, but the challenge is to save the file in backckground/ app.server with the same format as foregound.

If you need more information kindly let me know.,

Thankss,

Neeth

0 Kudos

Hi Neeth,

DBASE sounds complicated, but with CSV I can help out.

I reduce your problem to: identical file, independent if saved with GUI or application server.

Do you use GUI_DOWNLOAD? Basically here are same possibilities as with transfer. Do you have a code page problem (country specific characters are corrupted)= Are you missing the tabulator in background?

What is exactly the difference in the files?

Regards,

Christian

Former Member
0 Kudos

Nameeth - to save the file on the application server in DBF format, you have to start with one in that format. IE, you would have to use something like GUI_UPLOAD to retrieve a file from the presentation server and then save it on the application server. But since you want to do this in background, the presentation server isn't available.

You could simply save it as an ascii file on the application server and then write another program to read that file and download it in DBF format. We do this all the time and it works OK.

I'm not really sure of your exact requirements. Could you post them please?

Rob