Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Business Objects..

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I have a lot of unanswered questions when it comes to business objects (the ones in the business process repository - SWO1).

1. What is the purpose/use of the Business Objects? The also have the same methods and attributes as SE24 classes. But, then why are special?

2. When we add a method to a business object, it asks if we would like to use a function module template.

a) If we choose a BAPI, would that allow us to call that method of business object from another system?

b) If not, is it possible to call a business object method in any other way?

3. I have created instance of business object using SWO_CREATE. I also invoked a method without any parameters using SWO_INVOKE. How can we invoke a method with parameters?

4. Is it possible to create instances of business object from an outside system, for eg. Java? How can it be done?

5. If i call a business object that has a method called CreateMaterial(for eg), will that actually create a new material in the SAP system. I have seen many business objects provided by SAP that seem to do such actions usually done thro transactions.

Thanks in advance.

Anand.

1 REPLY 1

Former Member
0 Kudos

<i>1. What is the purpose/use of the Business Objects? The also have the same methods and attributes as SE24 classes. But, then why are special?</i>

I would look at this way - Classes are stand alone objects which contain methods, attributes etc. Business Objects can be seen as tied to an Application area such as a MM, SD etc. In other words, they implement a particular business function. You will see that each BO is tied to an application area, whereas a class doesnt need one.

<i>

2. When we add a method to a business object, it asks if we would like to use a function module template.

a) If we choose a BAPI, would that allow us to call that method of business object from another system?

b) If not, is it possible to call a business object method in any other way?</i>

Yes, it is possible to invoke a BAPI from an external system.

<i>5. If i call a business object that has a method called CreateMaterial(for eg), will that actually create a new material in the SAP system. I have seen many business objects provided by SAP that seem to do such actions usually done thro transactions.</i>

Yes it should.

Looks like your other questions regarding creation of objects etc have already been answered in different threads in the forum.

Sudha