Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Agile approach for SAP development ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey together,

what do you think of the Agile approach regarding SAP development? Normally the waterfall method is used for SAP development, but I really like the idea of Agile specially SCRUM.

Per definition it's made for Java, C etc. but not for SAP development, since SAP is more configuration than development to be honest.

Are there any developers who use that approach and can share their experience? It's pretty difficult to find those kind of information for this topic.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

paul_bakker2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

We have used an 'Agile' approach on our SAP projects, with great success.

There are different interpretations of what 'Agile' means, but this is what we did:

• the projects are deliberately kept small - max 6 months delivery time
  • the teams are deliberately kept small - no deadwood!
  • less time is spent writing detailed functional specs & more on whiteboarding
  • the developers build rough drafts and demo them to the functional analysts
  • a feedback loop develops between developers and functional analysts
  • most initial testing is done in the Development box, for quick turnaround (& less transports)
  • we have stand-up scrum meetings once or twice a week

I think the key is to get the best people ('best' = highly skilled AND motivated), and to minimize managers, meetings, and paperwork.

cheers

Paul

6 REPLIES 6

naimesh_patel
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Jan-Philipp,

I have used the Agile development approach at one of my client. Majority of clients who need the developers, they have more custom development than the configuration. This client also had huge custom development.

We should have a daily meeting for all the tasks every morning. We used to share our results of the previous day and would mention what we are going to do for that day. This meeting would be very short depending on the open items and assignments.

Each development would be divided in very small tasks - less than 4 hours. If the task is more than 4 hours, it would be still divided further. We used one of the tracking tool - don't remember the name - to track the progress of each task within the build. As we move along the day, we would change the status of the each task.

We used to also implement the ABAP Unit Test as part of the Agile approach. Our tasks would be generally like: design a method, design a test, implement a test, implement the code, refine the code. We also would have tasks for testing by functional team.

I would say overall the Agile development was good experience. We had seen faster resolution of issues and less bugs due to the ABAP unit tests.

Thanks,
Naimesh Patel

0 Kudos

Hello Naimesh,

Thanks for sharing your experience.

May I ask if you also have an automated test approach for regression?

i.e.: You run your previous AUnit tests periodically in an automated way to check if everything is still working?

Best Regards,

Guilherme.

paul_bakker2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

We have used an 'Agile' approach on our SAP projects, with great success.

There are different interpretations of what 'Agile' means, but this is what we did:

• the projects are deliberately kept small - max 6 months delivery time
  • the teams are deliberately kept small - no deadwood!
  • less time is spent writing detailed functional specs & more on whiteboarding
  • the developers build rough drafts and demo them to the functional analysts
  • a feedback loop develops between developers and functional analysts
  • most initial testing is done in the Development box, for quick turnaround (& less transports)
  • we have stand-up scrum meetings once or twice a week

I think the key is to get the best people ('best' = highly skilled AND motivated), and to minimize managers, meetings, and paperwork.

cheers

Paul

0 Kudos

Hello Paul,

That's the closest to Agile methodology i've ever heard being used in SAP implementations.

But what about the Functional team, how did they manage their configurations?

BR,

Suhas

espenl
Explorer
0 Kudos

We used agile/scrum for some time on projects quite successfully. This has been both for development and for functionals.

For functionals tasks have often been specifications or analysis in addition to customizing and liasing with external groups.

Regards,

Espen Leknes

Former Member
0 Kudos

Jan-Phillip,

Take a look at this guide....

How to Run Agile Development for SAP.

You might find some useful pointers in there....

Cheers,

Stuart